Assignment

turnitin.com success?

Picture of Thomas Haynes
turnitin.com success?

Greetings...

How many people have gotten the turnitin feature working? Does it work well enough to be worth the trouble? We have the turnitin license here, and integration with Moodle would probably increase return on investment.

Thanks... Tom

Average of ratings: -
Picture of A. T. Wyatt
Re: turnitin.com success?

Agreed! I am going to try to do it over the Christmas break. It sounds like there are some problems and it wasn't quite ready before. If we are ever successful, I will post back here!

atw

Picture of Christian Bokhove

Here it works. Trouble is not so big as it takes about five steps. I love the fact I know have a single sign on. I wouldn't go as far to say they are integrated, but that they communicate with eachother.

Picture of Neil Eliot

Hi.

I wrote the moodle part of the interface and have found that we are experiencing teething troubles with the integration, at the moment the major problems seem to be the configuration of PHP and the web servers. (We've also added some tweaks to version 1.1 of the interface)

php.ini must be set to allow fopen on urls and have open_ssl enabled as the callback for the deletion routines are over https:// and retrieve XML data via a fopen call to turnitin.

The other issue tends to be that institutes that are adopting moodle in a big way tend to have the servers secured (usually not supplying a DNS) to stop them accessing the outside world and need to have the turnitin address added to there hosts file or have there firewalls configured to allow the server to communicate correctly to the outside world.

Another issue that has occured is that the url used to connect to the server (i.e. http://vle.inst.ac.uk) within the institute is different to the url used for externally accessable url (e.g. http://moodle.vle.ac.uk) so the webservice url is being entered incorrectly, hope that helps.

One last point, the intergation written for Moodle worksin exactly the same way for Blackboard and WebCT and Angel in an attempt to maintain consistency, we are looking into  deep integration though.

Cheers

Picture of Thomas Haynes

Neil...

I have a pdf install document and a test site. It looks as if I need some files as well. They only sent me the pdf, and it may be that I need to contact someone at turnitin.com for files like the dispatcher.php before I can try this in the test environment.

The fopen, the openssl and the DNS should all be OK.

I'll need to get an account identifier and a key from someone here at school.

Thanks... Tom

Picture of Neil Eliot

Hi,

You need to download the interface files from your Turnitin console, or contact the Turnitin support desk and ask for a copy.

Cheers

Picture of Carl Kennard

Hi,

we're having all sorts of trouble with this. when we try to set up an assignment we get to the point where we have to submit our settings then get the message below when we press the submit button:

Error

There was an error processing your request.
Please
go back or return to the login page.

If we select login it takes us to the turnitin website which we could have just added a link to.

The support people asked us to send them our library file and we are waitng for their response.

Carl.

Picture of Carl Kennard

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this problem? If we can't fix it soon I think we will have to abandon it for the whole of this academic year.

Carl.

Picture of Michael Tudor

Hi Neil,

Whats the latest version of the integration, I think I'm currently running 1.0

Once I upgrade to the newest version do I need to change in other settings or will it just work?

Thanks

Picture of Neil Eliot

Hi,

The latest version is 1.1 was forwarded to iPardigms and finalised about a week ago and should be available for download through the TurnItIn website. (David Wu (iP) and I had a few problems sorting out some possible use cases)

The best way to install is

1. copy your current lib.php with all your configuration details.
2. Install the new code
3. replace the lib.php with your backup copy.

Neil

Picture of Michael Tudor

Thanks Neil,

I were running 1.0 and I'm now running 1.0.1 (maybe they will have 1.1 on the site soon).

Anyway, the TII integration wasnt working a few days ago (I hadnt tried it for a while), but I tried it yesterday and it worked fine, weird? Anyway I upgraded to version 1.0.1 and copied my log on details out of the old lib.php file and entered them into the new lib.php and it is still working okay.

It is working fine now, but i still dont know why it wasnt working the other day since I hadnt changed anything to make it start working, all rather strange actually. Maybe the old version had a few intermittent problems.

I do have one request - Can the View submitted assignments link be updated to reflect the number of assignments that have been handed in, it currently displays "View 0 submitted assignments", even though there is a submitted assignment.

View Submitted assignments

It woudl be nice if it displayed the number of assignments that wre there.

Picture of Carl Kennard

Hi,

We're still having problems with this. It appears our moodle users are not automatically logged into Turnitin when setting up assignments and we are being asked to login at which point we are sent to the Turnitin webpage. Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so please let me know how you fixed it.

Carl.

wen photo
Group Developers
Dear all I'm just trying to share our experience with our turnitin plug-in installation experience here, hope it helps...

First I noticed that the turnitin document (the tii_moodle_manual.pdf inside of the tiimoodle_plugin.zip) was not very clear. For more of the files you should unzip it into .../mod/assignment/type/turnitin (the zip file will automatically create turnitin folder, so you want to put the .zip file in the type folder). By default the "TII_LOGGING" is set to 1, but for the log to work, you need to manually create a log.txt file inside of the /turnitin folder, which the document failed to mention. If you turn it off by define the TII_LOGGING to 0, then you won't have to worry about the log.txt...

Secondly, after we installed the plug-in we kept getting "Moodle Integration Error - Primary account ID for Turnitin not activated to use the API". Originally we thought that it was the problem on the turnitin side, so we called the tech support but it wasn't really helpful. Then we start to trouble-shoot from our end, and finally found that the original lib.php that came with the .zip file, was started with a <?, which should be replaced with <?php (PHP5 do care about this), so we fixed this and everything is now working.. So just want to share this with all of you.. double check with the log.txt and the <?php and you might be able to get it working...

wen photo
Group Developers
Just want to report that the turn-it-in moodle integration code has some problems. We just noticed that when you initially create an assignment with "Offline activity" assignment type, and then save it. Later say if you changed your mind and want to change the assignment type to "TurnItIn" assignment type, so update the assignment, the click on Next button, then click on "Continue" button on the turnitin assignment type description, you will get an error message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<!-- Turnitin API Return Data -->

<returndata>
<rmessage>Database error verifying assignment</rmessage>
<rcode>207</rcode>
</returndata>

Does anyone else experience this kind of problem and found a fix already? We are taking a look at this issue right now, but if someone already figured out a fix already please post it here, thanks!

Picture of Amer Hamade

Hi,

Where do we get this code/module from?! I am not able to find it on turnitin nor anywhere!

regards,
amer

Picture of Geoffrey Rowland
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
We have just got the Turnitin-integration working with Moodle 1.6.2+ and Moodle 1.8.2+. For more details see this posting.

Anthony Borrow
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Plugins guardiansGroup Testers
I am attempting to get the turnitin assignment type to work; however, I have been met with very limited success. I did notice that my user account was created at one point; however, I get an error when trying to create a new assignment in another course. Actually I have never created an assignment through Moodle. I am attaching what was returned in my log.txt file should anyone care to try to provide a little support. I have no idea what the error is. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Peace.

FYI - I am using Moodle 1.6+ (i.e. 16_STABLE - 2006050540) on Ubuntu 6.06, MySQL 5.0.22, with PHP 5.1.2.

Picture of Daniel Auger
Re: turnitin.com success? - trouble installing

Hi,

I guess this message is for Neil at NorthUmbria.co.uk unless others have managed to get the turnitin.com assignment type working. I have installed the plug in, edited the lib.php file with the appropriate information. I log into a course, and I can select Turnitin as an assignment type and modify the assignment settings but when I click submit it asks me to log in or return to the previous page...

What have I done wrong in the setup?

Daniel

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
We have it working, but it seems a bit flaky.

One thing to watch out for. If you have multiple Moodle sites you appear to need multiple Turnitin accounts otherwise you'll get duplicate id problems.

There is also an interesting aspect to the delete code. If you get any flakiness with turnitin you can end up with Moodle assignments that cannot be deleted. Looking at the code, it is a requirement that the plugin successfully negotiates the deletion with the remote turnitin server before it will permit deletion of the Moodle resource.

Picture of Kristian Besley
Windows IWA / NTLM

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an issue we had with the integration just in case others have the same problem. I actually found this out through the Turnitin support, who are very very helpful and really quick.

Our problem was that the Turnitin server couldn't talk back to our Test server because we have Moodle running on Windows/IIS and IWA authentication on the moodle folder. So any file access into that folder has to be authenticated and the Turnitin server couldn't get through. Now, I don't have any concrete resolution for how to fix this but I believe you can allow Anon access for individual files and folders, so I guess the Turnitin folder would need to have this allowed.

We actually resolved it immediately on our live server (Apache) because it is configured differently - we only authentication on the login page...

Just thought I'd point this issue out just in case anyone is pulling their hair out,

Kris

Mei Pakpahan

Hi,
I'm having the same problem with Carl that saying :

Error

There was an error processing your request.
Please go back or return to the login page.

and if i go to the login page and insert my Turnitin account and password, seems like it works. But the other problem is i can't edit my course or even assign student to the course on Turnitin assignment, it says :

Editing has been disabled for this native account

Can somebody please help me ?Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

Picture of Che Simpson

Ive never used this...but here is another link to some resources (you have probably already seen this one)..   http://docs.moodle.org/en/Turnitin_administration