How many people have gotten the turnitin feature working? Does it work well enough to be worth the trouble? We have the turnitin license here, and integration with Moodle would probably increase return on investment.
I wrote the moodle part of the interface and have found that we are experiencing teething troubles with the integration, at the moment the major problems seem to be the configuration of PHP and the web servers. (We've also added some tweaks to version 1.1 of the interface)
php.ini must be set to allow fopen on urls and have open_ssl enabled as the callback for the deletion routines are over https:// and retrieve XML data via a fopen call to turnitin.
The other issue tends to be that institutes that are adopting moodle in a big way tend to have the servers secured (usually not supplying a DNS) to stop them accessing the outside world and need to have the turnitin address added to there hosts file or have there firewalls configured to allow the server to communicate correctly to the outside world.
Another issue that has occured is that the url used to connect to the server (i.e. http://vle.inst.ac.uk) within the institute is different to the url used for externally accessable url (e.g. http://moodle.vle.ac.uk) so the webservice url is being entered incorrectly, hope that helps.
One last point, the intergation written for Moodle worksin exactly the same way for Blackboard and WebCT and Angel in an attempt to maintain consistency, we are looking into deep integration though.
we're having all sorts of trouble with this. when we try to set up an assignment we get to the point where we have to submit our settings then get the message below when we press the submit button:
If we select login it takes us to the turnitin website which we could have just added a link to.
The support people asked us to send them our library file and we are waitng for their response.
Whats the latest version of the integration, I think I'm currently running 1.0
Once I upgrade to the newest version do I need to change in other settings or will it just work?
The latest version is 1.1 was forwarded to iPardigms and finalised about a week ago and should be available for download through the TurnItIn website. (David Wu (iP) and I had a few problems sorting out some possible use cases)
The best way to install is
1. copy your current lib.php with all your configuration details.
2. Install the new code
3. replace the lib.php with your backup copy.
I were running 1.0 and I'm now running 1.0.1 (maybe they will have 1.1 on the site soon).
Anyway, the TII integration wasnt working a few days ago (I hadnt tried it for a while), but I tried it yesterday and it worked fine, weird? Anyway I upgraded to version 1.0.1 and copied my log on details out of the old lib.php file and entered them into the new lib.php and it is still working okay.
It is working fine now, but i still dont know why it wasnt working the other day since I hadnt changed anything to make it start working, all rather strange actually. Maybe the old version had a few intermittent problems.
I do have one request - Can the View submitted assignments link be updated to reflect the number of assignments that have been handed in, it currently displays "View 0 submitted assignments", even though there is a submitted assignment.
It woudl be nice if it displayed the number of assignments that wre there.
We're still having problems with this. It appears our moodle users are not automatically logged into Turnitin when setting up assignments and we are being asked to login at which point we are sent to the Turnitin webpage. Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so please let me know how you fixed it.
Just thought I'd post an issue we had with the integration just in case others have the same problem. I actually found this out through the Turnitin support, who are very very helpful and really quick.
Our problem was that the Turnitin server couldn't talk back to our Test server because we have Moodle running on Windows/IIS and IWA authentication on the moodle folder. So any file access into that folder has to be authenticated and the Turnitin server couldn't get through. Now, I don't have any concrete resolution for how to fix this but I believe you can allow Anon access for individual files and folders, so I guess the Turnitin folder would need to have this allowed.
We actually resolved it immediately on our live server (Apache) because it is configured differently - we only authentication on the login page...
Just thought I'd point this issue out just in case anyone is pulling their hair out,