Please help - Cannot get additional blocks to install

Please help - Cannot get additional blocks to install

by Frank Biesta -
Number of replies: 22

Hi,

For the past 2 weeks I searched through the online docs and forums to find a clear answer to (what I think) would be a trivial activity: how to install an additional block into moodle. So far, I have not been able to find an answer or achieve installing a block. (The one I tried to install was the learning-resources_block.) The same applies to installing additional modules (I tried the Dialogue and the Portfolio modules).

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Frank

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Biesta

Re: Please help - Cannot get additional blocks to install

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Frank,

Please could you describe your experiences when following the non-standard block and module installation instructions docs.moodle.org/en/Category:Block_(non-standard) and docs.moodle.org/en/Category:Modules_(non-standard).

The instructions may require re-writing to make them easier to follow. thoughtful

In reply to Helen Foster

by John Isner -
I recently installed my first module (Book). I carefully followed the generic instructions in docs.moodle, and I carefully read the README in the package, which basically echoed the generic instructions. I ran into problems, but not because of the generic instructions. They're fine. I got into trouble because two necessary additional steps weren't mentioned in the Book module's README.

The README is the place for exceptions or additions to the generic instructions. The database entry for Book had a pointer to a forum where installation problems were discussed, which is where I found the solution to my problem. In a perfect world, the problems identified in the forums would be collected and incorporated back into in README.

Since non-standard block or module authors are unlikely to do this, may I suggest that we modify the generic instructions to warn users to first (1) carefully read the README file and then (2) search the forums for installation problems and solutions. This is a far-from ideal solution, but probably the only practical one.
In reply to John Isner

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi John,

Thanks for your comments. I wasn't aware of any block or module which required additional installation steps. Please feel free to update the installation instructions documentation as necessary. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Biesta -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the reply. The instructions are easy enough, I think (painfully easy actually...). When installing a block I unzip the file locally and then (using Filezilla) put the files into a new directory into the blocks subdir. If I read the instructions correctly, installation should take place automatically when you start your Moodle admin.

I run Moodle 1.6.3. The only difference I can think of is that Moodle is run from a subdirectory from my main site address. (As I think (sub)directories and paths are relative anyway, this should not make a difference...) (As my Moodle installation is in use on a daily basis at the Business School where I teach I have postponed upgrading to 1.7 for another couple of weeks.)

I tried installing the learning_resources_block again just now: unzipped locally, put the files including the subdirs into the ../blocks subdir into a subdir called "learning_resources_block". Logged into the site as admin, went to configuration and then to Administration, Blocks. No joy... No messages or anything about something new being installed and the new block does not show up in Admin.

Hope this describes things a little better than in my previous post. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

UPDATE: Just now I tried (again) to install the "Dialogue" block. Although previously this did not work, it now works! I saw the installation messages and the block is available. (Just before logging into Moodle as admin I had deleted all the files IE stores locally... Who knows...)

Regards, Frank

In reply to Frank Biesta

by Frank Biesta -
oops, in my previous post: for Dialogue BLOCK read Dialogue MODULE... blush
In reply to Frank Biesta

by Patrick Enaholo -

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

I've createe a new block just as the documentation says but nothing happens after that. I thought it would be included in the list of blocks automatically, but there seems to be absolutely no change (even after getting rid of all the temporary files in IE)

Could someone kindly help out?

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Enaholo

by Patrick Enaholo -

Alright,

It just displayed now - straight from out of the blue!  I just clicked on the "admin..." link on the admin panel and a message popped up saying that the block had been added.

I hope you have similar luck, Frank.

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Enaholo

by Frank Biesta -

Hi Patrick,

Thanks. Good that it worked for you at least... It worked for me as well with the "Dialogue" module. Tried about 10 times - worked the 11th.

I have so far not been able to install any blocks. The block I'm most interested in (the "learning_resources_block") does not work for some reason or other. I don't think there's anything wrong with this particular block, though. My guess is that there's another reason why installation doesn't work some of the time and than - at least with the module - suddenly (for no apparent reason) it does work.

Where are the days when computers were logical? wink

Frank

In reply to Frank Biesta

by Patrick Enaholo -

Hello Frank,

I haven't delved much into installing new modules, but I reckon that if that works, blocks should work as well. I doubt if the problem with your block is the block itself - it must be a configuration problem.

I still believe computers are still logical. Maybe we're not just doing something right. Or else moodle is the one with the problem.

Patrick

In reply to Frank Biesta

by Helen Foster -
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your feedback.

If you visit the admin page and don't get a message about a new block (or module) being successfully installed then please check the following:

1. The new block folder is named correctly. For example, the Learning Resources block folder should be named "learning_resources" (not "learning_resources_block" wink).

2. The new block folder is not contained within another folder. For example, unzipping block_learning_resources.zip results in a folder named "block_learning_resources" containing a folder named "blocks" containing a folder named "learning_resources". If it's easier, just copy and paste the folder named "learning_resources" into the blocks folder of your Moodle site.

If you browse the blocks folder of your Moodle site, you'll notice that all the blocks follow a pattern - the activity_modules folder contains a file block_activity_modules.php, the calendar_month folder contains a file block_calendar_month.php, the learning_resources folder contains a file block_learning_resources.php etc. Modules follow a similar pattern.

Hope you're now able to successfully install the Learning Resources block. Please feel free to update the installation instructions documentation as necessary. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Biesta -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the info. The fact that the folder should not be called "learning_resources_block" but just "learning_resources" did the trick as far as installation was concerned. (As an aside: is this naming convention common knowledge with Mooddle users? I spent a lot of time browsing the site before asking my question in this forum, and I do not remember having come across this. For Moodle newbies like myself this might be a useful addition to the link you sent on installing non-standard blocks.) I also copied the file in the ../lang/en_utf8 folder into the lang folder on the server (assuming that that was needed as well).

So installation now worked. But... (you're not getting rid of me that easily wink) after I add the block to my main page and click its Edit icon, all I get is "Configuring a Learning Resources block" followed by "There are no resources to display" followed by a "Save changes" button.Something similar in Admin, Configuration, Blocks, Settings. The only option I see is "Open links in a new window"... Any suggestions to these two questions?

Thanks again, Frank

In reply to Frank Biesta

by Helen Foster -
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your additional feedback - very useful. approve

I'm glad to hear you have successfully installed the Learning Resources block. Please note that links must be added by an administrator (via the settings link in Administration >> Configuration >> Blocks) before teachers are able to configure the block in their course. I've started a documentation page - docs.moodle.org/en/Learning_Resources_block. Please feel free to add/edit the information as necessary.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Biesta -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the help. It took me a while (blush) but as it turned out I had completely overlooked the blue Add/Edit Link link... It's working fine now and it's very useful for the different courses I teach.

Initially I thought the block would only be visible from the homepage of the site (as that was the only place where I could Add it), but I noticed it appears on all pages in all courses. I guess this is the way it was intended?

Secondly, am I correct in understanding that you can have only one instance of the Learning Block on your site? There's no little "eye" button to make it invisible within certain courses.

And thirdly: is it possible to change the name of the block into something more meaningful (in my case "Online dictionaries")? (I guess I can simply edit the PHP code for this.)

I want to add some of the stuff I learned to the documentation page to make things easier for future users, but before I put in any wrong info I thought I'd check with you.

Regards, Frank

In reply to Frank Biesta

Re: Learning Resources block

by Helen Foster -
Hi Frank,

The Learning Resources block may be added to each course page, however it doesn't have to be! If you can't see the Hide/Show eye then perhaps it's because the Learning Resources block has been set as a sticky block by an administrator.

Regarding changing the name of the block, this may be done by editing the blockname string in block_learning_resources.php. Please check docs.moodle.org/en/admin/lang for information on editing language strings.

Hope you now feel able to contribute to the documentation. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Learning Resources block

by Julie Lindsay -

Is it possible to re-arrange the learning resources into alphabetical order within the Learning Resources block once they've been added? 

Julie

In reply to Frank Biesta

by Matt Zahead -

Hi everyone,

Greetings from this far side of the world.. Malaysia! For the past few days I have been working very very hard to get a block and an activity module installed but to no avail... Read all the postings here, followed every single bit of advice stated (I hope).. but proved to be futile.. I just don't know what went wrong.. Don't even see a single indication of the third party block / activity module being successfully installed.. Help is very much needed.. urgent! By the way.. this is the best Learning CMS ever.. Thanks... Another thing, I installed the latest Moodle release 1.7 and the block is file_manager and activity module is exercise. Please come to my aid..

In reply to Matt Zahead

by Brad Felix -
Hi Matt, I had a similar problem recently when trying to make a new block. Its frustrating when there is no diagnostic info available.

I solved it by COPYING an existing block's folder in the /blocks/ folder, renaming it accordingly, and gradually working through each subsequent change, like renaming the file inside, copying and pasting code from the block you really want into the copied block's code, etc. When I went back to the admin directory with a browser it finally recognized the new block.

HTH,
Brad

In reply to Brad Felix

by Matt Zahead -

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the suggestion.. Tried it but still no result! Thinking of reverting to 1.6.3 now.. will it work?

Matt

In reply to Matt Zahead

by Helen Foster -
Hi Matt,

The most likely cause of the problem is that the block you mention is not yet compatible with Moodle 1.7.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Gabriel Caffrey -
I am attempting to install a couple of blocks, including the Activity_Locking and Progress blocks in a Bitnami install of Moodle 1.9.7 (build 2.0091126) and decompressing these modules and putting them in the correct subfolders according to everything above.

When I check Notifications, nothing at all appears! I'm stymied on this one and it's a real issue. Is there some way to trigger a manual notification or sweep to check for the new blocks?

I'm not especially familiar with the Bitnami install package if it's unusual in some way. Anyone have ideas on how to address this?

Any help would be much appreciated.
In reply to Frank Biesta

by sudeera hasanta -

Thanx guys, this is really helpful

wink

In reply to sudeera hasanta

by John Szkudlapski -

I have been trying to add the "ActiveUsers" block to my moodle {1.8.3} but every time i go to add it, my admin screen goes blank, and will only show information after i have deleted the activeusers block from the /blocks/ directory.

Any help would be appreciated.