Time tracking - possible?

Time tracking - possible?

by Denys Kotseba -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,
I am new to Moodle and so far could not figure out if such feature as time-tracking is available. In other words, 1) is there a way to define that a certain course must be accomplished within a given time and 2) is there a way to chek if students fit in the given time (or at least how much time an individual student spent for studying the course)?

Thanks in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Denys Kotseba

Re: Time tracking - possible?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Denys,
Course is large measure for Moodle. A Moodle course is usually made up of activities and resources. An activity could be a lesson. Since you posted this in the Lesson forum, I am going to use the word Lesson instead of course (MoodleDOC links are fighting me today so I will just show them).

1) There are (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Adding/editing a lesson") lesson settings under that set a (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Adding/editing_a_lesson#Timed) time limit in the lesson. There is a lesson setting which makes entry into a lesson (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Adding/editing_a_lesson) dependent upon spending time in a previous lesson. There are also lesson settings which can open and close the lesson by a very specific date & time window (which is not what you are asking but this is also a course setting feature).

2) There are logs (reports) which can tell you how long a student spends in a particular lesson page. Someone else will have to point out a report which will summarize the log by student/activity-resource in time.

There is not a database field which gives a running time for each student in a course, or each lesson. The log database notes each event (for example page visited in a lesson) by the time it took place.

Hope this helps.

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Denys,
welcome to Mooldesmile

I use a small hack of Moodle report to estimate the time online of the selected user/group/course/activity/date. These posts give more details about it.

It is not perfectly accurate but it give a good estimate to help the teacher to adjust activities length to the time allowed.

Even if that estimated time is not used in the evaluation, there is a good correlation between that time and the results of the students.

I hope it may help,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Prashant Chaturvedi -

Hi,

Just a wild thought:

My lousy user kicks the power switch.... what would be the end time reported???

Thanks,

PC

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I know this isn't what you want to hear... (and this comes up quite a lot) is how do you propose to tell if somebody is working on Moodle or if they have brought up the activity and then gone to make a cup of tea?

Even if you look carefully at the stats, the only thing you can assert is that they have clicked a mouse button at certain intervals.

Might I suggest that you at least consider testing their knowledge (using quizzes etc.) rather than assuming that time spent on an activity in any way equates to gaining knowledge in it.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Howard,

Many thanks for jumping in on one of my favorite topics before I have had time to vent my usual rant.evil Saves my energy for more constructive things to do today.approve

ATB

Joseph