What is the purpose of the 'rated' questions?

What is the purpose of the 'rated' questions?

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

I have just downloaded the Feedback module (version 2006092900) into my Moodle system (1.6.2+), and it seems to be working as intended.

However, there are two question types of which I am not sure the purpose: 'Dropdownlist (rated)' and 'Radiobutton (rated)'. They seem to perform exactly the same function as 'Multiple choice - single answer allowed (dropdownlist)' and 'Multiple choice - single answer' respectively.

I have made a sample Feedback activity and used all 8 question types and have named each question according to its type. Click here to see a screenshot of the questions.

I have then answered the questions as a student. Looking at both the questions and results page, it is not clear to me how the 'rated' type questions differ from the traditional dropdownlist or radio buttons. Since they have the label 'rated', I was expecting students to be able to select, or rate, the choices in order of preference, but it seems they simply select one of the choices, which is exactly the same as they do for the 'Multiple choice - single answer allowed (dropdownlist)' and 'Multiple choice - single answer' type questions.

I must be missing something. Below you can find links to some relevant screenshots:
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: What is the purpose of the 'rated' questions?

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,
here is a copy of another post:
--------------------------------------
with the rated items you can create scalable answers.
Let me do an example:
Question: How are you?
Answers:
  1. super (5.0)
  2. good (4.0)
  3. solala (3.0)
  4. bad (2.0)
  5. as bad as possible (1.0)
(3 users do answer 2, 2 users do answer 3 and 4 users do answer 1)

Analysis:
Question: How are you?
Answers (analysed): 4.22
Answers (detailed):
User1: 5
User2: 3
User3: 4
User4: 5
User5: 4
User6: 5
User7: 4
User8: 5
User9: 3
--------------------------------------
I'm hoping it helps.
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

Re: What is the purpose of the 'rated' questions?

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Andreas,

Thank you for your quick reply. Having read your explanation, I realised that the results of one 'student' were not enough to understand the purpose of the rated questions. So, I again logged into my experimental moodle course as another 'student' and completed the Feedback activity. I then looked at the results for the 2 'students' and now feel I understand the purpose of the 'rated' type questions.

The 'rated' type questions calculate an average, whereas the other questions do not. I have made a screenshot of the results for those that are interested: screenshot of results (see questions 3 & 6).

Thank you Andreas for enlightening me.