uploading a testgen file in blackboard

uploading a testgen file in blackboard

by joseph campbell -
Number of replies: 14

I teach psychology in William and Catherine Boothe College, Winnipeg, Canada.

I have been using Moodle for about a  year and have found it as good as blackboard!

Yesterday my administrator upgrade to moodle 1.6(I believe). Now when I upload a quiz file from Test Gen( a data file) the process has not changed from the previous version. The outcome has changed drastically. If the original file has 20 questions, Moodle uploads 1 of the questions 20 times, usually the last question from the Testgen file.

Anyone able to help

Joseph

In reply to joseph campbell

Re: uploading a testgen file in blackboard

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Please attach the file you are having trouble with and I will take a look.
In reply to Howard Miller

by joseph campbell -

We have now updated to moodle 1.7, and the problem still exists.

I'm using TestGen 5 from Pearson Education, and it can export in Blackboard, WebCT3, and WebCT4.  I've tried all 3 formats, and I get errors with the WebCT version.

The following used to work under moodle 1.5.3.

Export from TestGen as blackboard.

Extract the .dat file from the zip.

Upload the .dat to moodle.

With 1.6, doing what used to work, it would import question 1 many times.

With 1.7, doing what used to work, you get no error message, no confirmation, and no questions are imported.  Using BB6 import, sending the zip, you get an error.

by Mike Jackson -

I too am now having trouble getting my Testgen Blackboard exported questions into the Moodle quiz module. I get a "no questions in the import file" error

I have attached a sample file. Should I be using the "Blackboard" or the Blacboard V6+" import? (neither works for me).

Last year I had no problem exporting from testgen into BB format and then importing it into the Moodle Quiz bank.

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Mmm... I've just spotted a rather nasty problem with Blackboard import format. For this file you would unzip the file and use the .dat file therein. However, the import format is broken - I'm on to it! Sigh.... bad week tongueout

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-7703

by Howard Miller -
Ok - this bug is now fixed in 1.7 and HEAD CVS. It will appear in the next nightly build of 1.7+.

I checked both the examples supplied in this thread and both import fine.

by Mike Jackson -

Hi, I am somewhat of a newbie to Moodle admin. WE are probably not upgrading to 1.7 until the xmas break, so I would like to try this import in 1.6.3+ - should the code from 1.7 work?

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Howard Miller -
Hi Mike,

I didn't try it, but it should. If you grab question/format/blackboard/format.php from the very latest 1.7 code and replace the same file in your 1.6 code then it should work. If I get a moment this morning I'll back-port it into 1.6.

by Eric Amodeo -

Mr. Miller,

First off I would like to say thank you for the time and effort you have made to try to fix this problem. We replaced the file in 1.6 with the file from 1.7 as you stated. I then tried to import using the Blackboard import (not 6+) and I got this message:

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in C:\moodle\moodle\question\format\blackboard\format.php on line 134

I am not sure if this will help you fix the problem but I thought I would let you know.

Eric

In reply to Eric Amodeo

by Howard Miller -
Eric,

Are you *sure* you got the latest version of the file? This sounds like the error that was fixed.

Just in case, I have attached the file here.

by Eric Amodeo -

Mr. Miller,

Well we must have used the wrong file becuase it now works.  The problem now is that some of the answers (multiple choice) are missing parts of the answer or the original problem. It looks like the picture was not uploaded and there is a red x in a box in those spots. All I imported was the .dat file using Blackboard import. Did I miss something?  I am including a screen shot.  Thanks.

Eric

Attachment screen.JPG
In reply to Eric Amodeo

by Howard Miller -
The BB import format does not handle images.

Having said that, if you post your file here. I will have a look and see if it might be possible to implement. No promises though smile

BTW... have you thought about using the TeX filter to display mathematic symbols and formulae in Moodle?

by Eric Amodeo -
I have used the TeX filter but it is somewhat time consuming compared to using the export from Testgen. I did figure out that the x's were placed where there were fractions because those are images. Does the BB 6+ import work with v1.6 of Moodle? When I try it says it can't find the data file in the zip. Here is the zip file that I would like to upload.

by Eric Amodeo -
Mr. Miller,

I was just wondering if you had a chance to look at my zip file? If we upgrade to 1.7 will these things work?

by Mike Jackson -

Thanks for your help, Howard.

I copied the 1.7 format.php into my 163 installation and it was able to import my testgen exported blackboard files again. Thanks

I am not sure about the difference between the blackboard format and the v6+ version...