Want to Upgrade - Afraid of Losing My Content

Want to Upgrade - Afraid of Losing My Content

by Matthew Carpenter -
Number of replies: 1
HELP! I really want to upgrade to the new beta...but I am woried about something going wrong and losing my class data (www.gevstechclass.com).

Can anyone offer me some real solid walkthroughs on how to upgrade in a fail safe way? I read the upgrade instructions and still didn't feel real comfortable.

Matthew
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Carpenter

Re: Want to Upgrade - Afraid of Losing My Content

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You have done a backup right??

If you have, you have nothing to fear smile If you are truly paranoid then do a dump of the database as well. So you can go back if you have to.

I have upgraded loads of installations loads of times and never had a problem.

You don't say what sort of system you are using so its hard to give a blow-by-blow description. But roughly …

• Download the file and extract to a new directory alongside your existing "running" installation
  • Copy the existing config.php into the new directory
  • Rename the running version to "mymoodle-old" or suchlike
  • Rename the new one to the name your running one used to have (if you see what I mean)
  • Run http://myhost.mydomain/moodle/admin (modify for your site)
  • Watch all the upgrade stuff go by on the screen
  • Than't it!

If it does go horribly wrong, you can rename the old code back into play again and re-load the dumped database data - you won't need to though big grin