Editor in IE wipes info again and again...

Editor in IE wipes info again and again...

by D.I. von Briesen -
Number of replies: 3

I'm finding that consistenly (30% of the time, or whenever you haven't copied it ahead of time to be safe wink) on  our site when I use IE that I type into the window, and then hit submit and get a page not found error. When I go back, everything I typed is gone.

When I paste what I saved and submit, it seems to usually work fine. When I retype it (b/c I forgot to copy to be safe) it sometimes happens again.

I mentioned this in another forum and got no specific replies and don't see anything like this here. This has NOT been a problem with firebird/firefox but the problem is our webmail uses IE and doesn't like to open firefox from within the email (Bill is evil) even when it's the default browser. There may be a fix for that, but until then, I tend to be on IE a lot when replying to student posts (which I'm subscribed to).

D.I.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

Re: Editor in IE wipes info again and again...

by Janne Mikkonen -
This sounds very much a IE's "property" (spelled bug smile). Are any other fields empty when you go back (subject,  title eg.)?

If editor is working ok, I'm little bit worried about why you get "page not found" -errors.
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by D.I. von Briesen -

I'm sure it must be something on our end, since it never happesn with this site- only at our school- but I can't figure out how something on the server would cause this (since it happens across various machines in different locations for different people).

I believe (i'll have to pay more attention) it's just the main editing area...

Since this only happens when the 2nd page is page not found, I suspect there's some mechanism that's storing the editor's results (i.e. what you typed and formatted) in a session or something like that, that is then lost to the browser when you hit the back button (i.e. it's not restored to the editor). So really it may be less of an editor issue but more to do with what's causing it to die on submit. A hack would be to restore the editor window with the variables that held the editor's final values... I think...

Any you code gurus wanna help me figure this out?

d.i.

In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by D.I. von Briesen -
As a follow up this problem seems to be good and gone with 1.2. Good thing, as it was odd enough and aggravating enough to be an adoption killer... big grin
d.i.