Multiple Authentication

Multiple Authentication

by Jonathan Harker -
Number of replies: 17
Hi there,

As part of the Moodle Community Hub project, I have been working here at Catalyst on getting Moodle to support multiple authentication plugins. There is an earlier thread over on the User Authentication forum.

The code was worked on in a 1.6 branch and has now been rebased to the 1.7 code. There is a git repository here, and tarball snapshots are also available if you are not using git/cogito.

Any suggestions/test reports/encouragement/withering criticisms etc. would be greatly appreciated.

NOTES:

The authentication admin interface has changed, and now resembles the Filters interface in that you can enable, disable and reorder each auth plugin, each of which has its own settings page.

The auth plugins are now classes, instantiated with a get_auth_plugin() function in lib/moodlelib, and all the functions that were in lib.php have been refactored as class methods. The auth plugin settings are now stored in the mdl_config_plugins table (along with the field locking options) keyed by the plugin field = 'auth/foo'. These settings are accessible through the class ->config variable, which is populated in the constructor at instantiation time. Thus $CFG->auth_foo_setting has been replaced by $authplugin->config->setting, where $authplugin = get_auth_plugin('foo')

More notes as they come to mind... All feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Harker

Re: Multiple Authentication

by Richard Burton -
Hi Johnathan

I have been reading all the posts on making Moodle capable of using Multiple Authentication methods as I have been asked to get one of our Moodle installs authenticating using Manual accounts and using LDAP auth as a fallback.

I believe your mods will allow this?

If so how much more work is required to get it to a level that can be used in a production site? I have been allocated time to get this working and I would rather spend it on mods that will make it back in to the main Moodle code as opposed to hacking it together. Is there any help I can offer in terms of coding or testing?

I have downloaded the Source Tree versions from

http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle-r2.git;a=snapshot;h=mdl-mnet-multiauth

But am getting errors about files not existing, looks like the setup.php in /lib is missing from the snap shot. I havent used GIT before but am willing to if it will get me the best snapshot.

Here to assist to get to production level smile

Richard
In reply to Richard Burton

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

[...] authenticating using Manual accounts and using LDAP auth as a fallback. I believe your mods will allow this?

If I understand you right, you want the same users being authenticated by two different authentication backends. Right?

If this is so, the multiauth code won't allow you to do this, as Moodle asumes that a given user has only one authentication source at a time. So you can't have a user use manual authentication and LDAP authentication, not even as a fallback.

What the multiauth code allows for is having different users use different authentication sources simultaneously.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Richard Burton -
Hi Inaki

No sorry I may have not described what I need correctly. I need some users to be manually authenticated and other authenticated by LDAP. But ideally I'd like the first method of authentication to be Manual and if that fails, ie because the user does not exist in the Manual database Moodle performs an LDAP lookup.

Are you saying that you would have to pre populate the local users database and then assign each user to an authentication method?

Thanks

Richard

by Martín Langhoff -
Richard, what you are describing will work with 1.8 out-of-the-box. That's exactly the scenario we wrote it for wink

You don't need to prepopulate the database.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Richard Burton -
Hi Martin

Fantatsic I will get 1.8 our beta site and test the authentication.

Richard

Re: Multiple Authentication - Unreliable LDAP and fallback

by Martín Langhoff -
Iñaki, going off on a tangent here -- do you think it'd be interesting to have a patch that allows a special "unreliable LDAP server" mode in which auth/ldap...

- connects to LDAP with a very short timeout, so if the LDAP server is down or bogged down it'll return an error without much delay

- (optional) if the connect fails try connecting to a secondary LDAP server, again with a short timeout

- if all LDAP connections fail AND the user acct actually exists AND we have a hashed passwd for the user, then validate against the hashed passwd

(Personally, my LDAP servers are rock-solid and if not, I'll fix them wide eyes but I've seen people discuss this "unreliable LDAP" scenario time and again, and I don't think it is that hard to do a bit of failover at login time. All the other operations that touch the LDAP server won't really work, so things won't be 100% operational, but those are seldom used anyway.)

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

do you think it'd be interesting to have a patch that allows [...]

Interesting yes. Possible no sad

There is currently no way to specify a timeout in ldap_connect() or ldap_bind() in PHP, so unless you patch the PHP LDAP module (nothing too complicated, AFAICT), you are out of luck.

And I'm still waiting for the PHP people to take my patch on paged results, so I wouln't hold my breath with this either...

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Martín Langhoff -
Damn! I keep forgetting -- I made the same mistake in this same thread! I'm waaaay too used to the Perl's Net::LDAP libraries and I map what I use there to PHP. sad

From reading a bit, LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT should do it, but it seems you only get to set it once you've established the connection. WTF!?

by Martín Langhoff -
By the way, ignore all the multi-auth code from git.catalyst.net.nz -- the latest and greatest code for this is in the 1.8 beta. It's graduated to almost-production ready, so please tell us it works for you too wink

Go 1.8 GO!

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
BTW I am about to commit a large auth cleanup patch into HEAD and 1.8dev tomorrow wink
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martín Langhoff -
Great! Can you split it into separate commits detailing what they are cleaning up? Big "this is a biiig pile of fixes" commits make life hard... wink

by James Cracknell -
In 1.8 why can't you specify the domains allowed to register and barred from registering in email authentication - you could do this in 1.7

J.
In reply to James Cracknell

by Martín Langhoff -
Do you mean following the example in config-dist.php or under /admin somewhere? Tell us more... (a lot more) so we can understand.

by James Cracknell -
Sorry about the lack of detail. I can't see anything in config-dist.php in the latest CSV.

In admin under 1.7 (sorry I upgraded to 1.8 so I don't have a 1.7 install to refer to). There was an option to specify:

- domains for email authentication where a user when registering could only have an email address with e.g. .sch.uk or .gov.uk or school.area.sch.uk as we have in the UK.

- domains for email authentication which were banned

In 1.8 there is no option to either have a permit or deny list of domains for email authentication (unless I am missing something).

all the best

James
In reply to James Cracknell

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

> In 1.8 there is no option to either have a permit or deny list of domains for email authentication (unless I am missing something).

I just checked my 1.8b and found the two settings "Allowed email domains" and "Denied email domains" under Server > Email in the Site admin block. Isn't what you're looking for?

Note that these settings would be more logically in the "Email-based self-registration" auth plugin.