Giving extensions to individual students

Giving extensions to individual students

by Mike Jackson -
Number of replies: 8
How do I go about giving an extension on a quiz's due date to an individual student. I find this a very useful feature in WebAssign...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: Giving extensions to individual students

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
AFAIK, the only way to give an extension is to extend the closing date and then add a password which you give to the individual. The disadvantage to this approach is that it typically causes some confusion among the other students who think there is a new quiz due on the extended date. It would be nice to create a quiz_extension table that would hold the id, userid, quizid, extendstarttime, extendendtime, enforcetimelimit, timelimitfactor. Then, Moodle could be programmed to check for all extensions for that quiz. If the user has an extension within the extendstarttime and extendendtime, they could open the quiz and take it. Additionally, a true false field called enforcetimelimit could be checked and if true then it would use the default quiz time limit. Otherwise, it would not use the time limit. The timelimitfactor could be a way of setting extended time for students who need time and a half (timelimitfactor = 1.5). Otherwise, if there is no extension for that userid, quizid then the default quiz values would be used.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hmm. In Moodle 1.7, we might be able to implement this using roles and capabilites. However, it would take a bit of work.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
I know the last thing you need is more work but it would be a nice feature that I envision being quite useful to teachers. As you suggest the use of roles/capabilities may help in this - if you would like I could do a feature request in the tracker. Peace.

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Anthony,

I agree this is an excellent idea and AFAIK required under some accessability legislation, as well it is a general guideline "flexible testing environments" under the "IMS Guidelines for Developing Accessible Learning Applications" (link missing) although "flexible testing environments" is certainly up to interpretation.

Flexible time restrictions should be a consideration. Not only of the dates, but also how long a student has to complete a quiz or lesson if there is a time limit.

regards,
Jeff

by Matt Campbell -
MDL-7315, if you want to vote for it. The request isn't specific to quiz, but rather activities in general.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Anthony Borrow -
I voted on it and made a comment about how this could be helpful for what we here in the United States call 'extended time'.

by Mike Jackson -
Thanks. I am not sure how to implement it, but know  that it would be handy. I'd be happy to test any code that might allow it. In the meantime, I can try the extension and password option.
In reply to Mike Jackson

by John Isner -
Mike,
I'm curious to know how you use WebAssign in conjunction with Moodle quizzes. What's the connection?