Security?

Security?

Jacob Kier-mit -
Antal besvarelser: 1
Hello everyone,

I am working to convince our school to adopt Moodle. I was just told that one of the big concerns they have is security (particularly in the posting of grades online).

I know I can cover the general bases (host it on a secure server, use good passwords, etc.), but does anyone have any particular points I can use to convince them Moodle is secure?

Thanks!
Jacob
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse: -
I svar til Jacob Kier

Re: Security?

Michael Penney-mit -
It may help to identify what they mean by 'secure', what are they comparing it to?

If you have Moodle on a secure server, so that the whole application is delivered via https, and you use LDAP authentication with enforced password complexity and expiration, that is pretty secure. Much more than an LMS which doesn't support LDAP and SSL, for instance.

It is much more secure in most cases than grades in excel on a teacher's laptop, or in ledger in a teacher's desk.

It is about as secure as grades in an SIS such as Banner.

Of course your security is only as good as the skill of and your trust of whomever is administering your Moodle server, folks at your school might prefer to contract with a Moodle partner to set up and administer the server securely if you don't have local IT staff who know how to do this.