Algebra/TeX filters broken in 1.2 beta for Windows

Algebra/TeX filters broken in 1.2 beta for Windows

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Number of replies: 7
I've just updated my testbed Moodle installation for Windows to 1.2 beta and noticed that the filters got broken by a last minute change to the pix.php scripts for these filters. An extra check was added to these scripts using a function is_executable(), which unfortunately is not available in PHP 4.x for Windows.  I've fixed this is in the CVS.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Re: Algebra/TeX filters broken in 1.2 beta for Windows

by Thomas Speck -
Hmm, I went into the CVS, went to filter/tex and got pix.php, but after replacing the one in filter/tex on my installation, it still won't work. Is there something I overlooked?

Added Infos:

I found and tested the TeX Filter Debugger, which worked. Even so, the $$\sqrt{2}$$ I put on my Moodle appears as text ($$$\sqrt{2}$$$).

Further Addon: While the Debugger worked and generates and shows the correct picture, the DB-Test gives me "DB cache_filters entry for \sqrt{2} not found". It seems there is a problem with the database.
In reply to Thomas Speck

Did you turn on the filters in Admin --> Configuration --> Filters ?  Stuff you type in the debugger isn't stored in the database.

by Thomas Speck -
Ah, that (and some Problems with CVS) was my problem. It works now. Many thanks from Europe.

by Ger Tielemans -

I am running a testbed under Easyphp1-7 and windows2000.

Algebra does not work. I found your debugging tools - By the way, I like the idea of this kind of supporting tools for a new Moodle function - and the feedback is talking about a database (Where is that database / should it be / when or how is it created?)

If I reshuffle resources in contrib cvs and the nightly moodle cvs I end up with a hanging system or an undetermined error. 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

Do not use the filters in cvs/contrib/algebra or cvs/contrib/tex. They are obsolete. (Martin, please remove these directories.) Please use the latest versions of the filters in cvs/moodle/filter/algebra and cvs/moodle/filter/tex

The database referred to in the debugging scripts is the table mdl_cache_filters in your Moodle database.

Try to get your TeX filter to work first.  Do you get any error messages, if you click on "Show Image" in the texdebug.php script?  If so, could you copy and paste the error message and post it here or email it to me?

by Ger Tielemans -
  • Taking form CVS /filter/tex
  • checking that mimetex.exe is exactly 328192
  • making shure that tex-filter is before algebra in the filter list
  • show image works

Then keeping your example as formula and pressing Show DB entry button:

DB cache_filters entry for f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt not found

Attachment stscc054.png
In reply to Ger Tielemans

There's nothing wrong with:

DB cache_filters entry for f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt not found

Expressions that you enter in the debugging window are not added to the DB cache_filters.  Only expressions you type within Moodle inside double $ signs (e.g. in Moodle forums)  are added to the DB cache_filters.