Newbie: clouds - achieving effects

Newbie: clouds - achieving effects

by Matt Tate -
Number of replies: 3
Looking at the clouds demo and theme I would love to achieve the same sort of affects. Particularly the main navigation with the two custom images placed horizontally. I am sure that the solution is obvious but I can not work it out. Please help. Thanks

http://montenet.monte.nsw.edu.au/ (clouds demo)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Tate

Re: Newbie: clouds - achieving effects

by Graeme Morley -
Hi Matt; I too would like to know how this has been done; however much I tweak I cannot get it to work. There must be a way to get a html block into the centre of the page. Please, please can anyone help?
In reply to Graeme Morley

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings!

I am nowhere near the artist or programmer that Julian is, but you can get a facsimile of his front page (isn't it beautiful?) by creating a table with clickable images in the center.

If you are admins, there is a place in the admin settings where you control the layout/look of the front page. It looks quite a bit different in 1.7, but I think in all the recent versions (1.5 up) you should look for the part where you can include a topic section. This is rather like the top block in your topics course format where you can put in resources or labels. Or, in this case, a table with some graphics that link to on-line resources.

This method does not include headers or anything the way Julian has his, but it might work for you. Be careful though about the width. If you put the graphics in this way, then your width is fixed. People with small monitors may be forced to scroll horizontally. I would test for that.

Link back when you are done, so we can see what you did! smile
(below is a poor example)
atw

Attachment layout.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Julian Ridden -
Sorry I took so long to get to this post. Too many moodle.org posts and never enough time.

AT nailed it. All i did was used a label at the top of the page to create the effect. Nothing more complex than that Im afraid. The images are just stored in the 'Site Files' area to make them accesable to all.

Hate to think I am losing my enigma like quality tongueout