Help Desk Ticket system

Help Desk Ticket system

by Wayne Campbell -
Number of replies: 12

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for new features or not, please forgive me if not.

As my Moodle implimentation grows, it will soon replace my schools existing web site and I am looking toward the day when Moodle has all the features that I need for my school district, even those that are not necessarily educational.

For instance, I'd like to see a Help Desk system available in Moodle, that contains all the standard features.  I know that there are dozens of stand alone versions out there, but I'd really like a Moodle only site.

My most basic idea for the Helpdesk, is one that exists on the Main Page, and allows users to submit tickets, for tech support, in a viriety of departments or categories.

A more advanced version would also include the ability for students to submit help requests directly to teachers in their courses.  Teacher would receive an e-mail and precede to help their students online or in person.

Just an idea!

Wayne C.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wayne Campbell

Re: Help Desk Ticket system

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's not really the right place, no, but there was this project recently:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects/Integrated_bug_tracker

Code is here:

http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/contrib/tracker/

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Wayne Campbell -

Martin,

Sorry about posting in the wrong place.  The link to the "project" module is no good.  It takes me to something completely different.  The Integrated Bug Tracker project does not seem to be listed in the Modules and Plugins repository at all.  Is there a link to the .zip archive, so I can download it, or do I have to pull each file individually from the cvs

Thanks for your help. 

Wayne

by Muata Kamdibe -
Hi Wayne,

I think that CSU-Humboldt has created the block you're looking for. Here's the link to their site and below is the description from the site. I've installed this and it works on 1.6.

I hope this helps.

Muata

Trouble Ticket: This block adds a trouble ticket which sends a support ticket to an email address for use with ticketing systems that accept email input. The administrator can configure the email address the ticket sends to, and the response message which is displayed to the sender (you can put a phone number, link to FAQ, etc. in the response message).

When a ticket comes in to your ticketing system from a course, it includes a link the course, the sender's name, and email.

If you install Course Menu and Trouble Ticket, you will have a link to the trouble ticket from your course menu.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by N Hansen -
Martin-I've tried the integrated bug tracker. It's still too primitive to be useful.

by Timothy Takemoto -
Wayne: wouldn't a fourum do?
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Wayne Campbell -

In a very basic fashon, it could, but it's not what I want.  I'd like to see a Help Desk ticketing system with all of the common features associated with this type of software.  For Instance, I'd like to create departments that when selected by a user, determines who the ticket is delivered too. 

So lets say a teacher needs help with a Digital Projector in her room, she could select the Media Center from the list, and an e-mail would be sent to a person assigned to the media center.  That's just one of the features that I've seen in HD systems that I'd like to see.  The system that I am dreaming about could handle Moodle help requests (in a course or outside of a specific course) and help requests not related to Moodle at all.  Heck, it could even handle requests to our maintenance department!

And frankly, I don't think the wheel needs to be reinvented here.  There are a bunch of GNU Public scripts out there that could be modded to work in Moodle.  I'd do it myself if I had the skills.  Unfortunately, I know just enough to dig around in code and fix little things that come up, but no more then that.

I would use a 3rd party package if it wasn't for the authentication issues.  Most 3d party HD systems use DB driven authentication.  The ones that did use LDAP were clunky and only had one search base (because these programmers seem to think that everybody uses Active Directory).  Moodle has the slickest LDAP authentication scheme going and it allows me to plug into my Novell Edirectory, where my users are in multiple contexts.

thanks,

Wayne

by Julian Ridden -
Here at our college we have not built a helpdesk system into Moodle but have instead created a block to integrate an external system.

We use (and are happy to recoomend) the OneOrZero Open Source helpdesk system. Like Moodle, this system just requires php and mysql and ties into our LDAP system.

Because both Moodle and OOZ share the same authentication source, it was simple to make a block that facilitated single sign on in the same way that the existing Squirrelmail block did.

The OOZ system is great as it allows you to set SLA's, job categories, define the members of the helpdesk team, generate reports and allow for automatic generation of email updates to alert users of updates to their tickets.

It is well worth a look.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Wayne Campbell -

Julian,

Thank you for the information!  I have looked at OOZ before, but didn't install it, and I'm not sure why.  Thanks for pointing me back to it.  It looks like it Ldap scheme will search multiple contexts from the top down.  This is good and something that very few PHP apps do as of yet.

I would be very interested in hearing more about that block you created and if you are willing, get a copy of it. 

Thanks for your help!

Wayne Campbell

by james parry -
Hi Wayne
Was wondering if you managed to resolve this (because i am just arriving at the same point, requiring tickets/helpdesk) and would appreciate any advise. Did you integrate with OnezeroOne or the other suggestion (HelpdeskPilot). Can you even remember - it's a while ago now... thanks!

by Shalin Jain -
You can try the Free Edition of Helpdesk Pilot it is very popular among schools and colleges. You can peek into it's feature and screenshot here - www.helpdeskpilot.com. I am part of development team, thou the source is open it is not licensed under the open source licenses. We already have received request from many of our users to have this help desk system closely integrate with CMS solutions like Moodle.