A Quicker Way to Install NWiki

A Quicker Way to Install NWiki

by Mark Penny -
Number of replies: 4
Nwiki is great. I love it. Thanks to Ludo and the team. Muchos gracias, muchachos and muchachas.

That said, it is a pain to install. Whatever happened to the magical fwiki install? When you unzipped fwiki, all the folders and files dispersed automatically. Now you have to move everything "by hand"--and there are a lot of files and folders to move to a lot of locations. cPanel doesn't make the job any easier with its mono-item rearrange, either.

Now that I've grumbled, let me share a tip for somewhat quicker installation.
  1. Download nwiki from the fwiki site to your computer.
  2. Unzip nwiki on your computer.
  3. Zip (in the unzipped version of the nwiki folder) the contents of every folder that corresponds to a folder in Moodle (i.e., blocks, course/format, lang/en_utf8 [and so on], lang/help, mod).
  4. Upload each separately zipped packet into the appropriate moodle folder.
  5. Unzip each packet.
It sounds like a lot of work--and it is, but it's quicker than moving things around in cPanel.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Penny

Re: A Quicker Way to Install NWiki

by Mark Penny -
Ludo, would it be possible to put all 13 wiki block folders into a single block folder called "wiki"? The installation method described above pays for itself on this bunch alone!

Obviously, some heavy recoding would be in order, but it would make installation (and deletion) much easier--and the moodle blocks folder less messy.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Mark Penny -
Be sure you zip any folder that needs to be installed as a folder. If you zip, upload and unzip the contents of a folder separately from the original folder, the contents will spill out into the subdirectory.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
hmmm...
the great Pigui is taking care of delivering the zip files but... as far as I know I just drag and drop the files and folders from winrar to my moodle instllation directory. Please contact with pigui and tell him what is missplaced.
BTW the reason to have the blocks outside the wiki folder is because they need to be moodle blocks compilant... dfwiki had its own block api and to change it was one of Martin's Requirements.
Regards
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Mark Penny -
Drag and drop: You mustn't be using cPanel. cPanel does everything one piece at a time. It's very tedious, especially with high-dispersal applications like nwiki.

Wiki blocks: I guessed as much (more or less) later. I hope something a little more elegant can be worked out.