Change in self- enrolment procedure and status of course visitors

Change in self- enrolment procedure and status of course visitors

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 7
With the new roles implementation, if I register at a Moodle site and then enter a course which allows guest access, I am not asked whether I want to enrol in the course as I was previously.

If self-enrolment is turned on for that course, then I can click on a link that to enrol myself into the course.

So whereas in the past a visitor in a course was necessarily anonymous, because as a registered user you had to enrol yourself in the course as a precondition of entry, now a visitor does not have to be anonymous.

So in a course which allows guest access you can now have anonymous guests or known registered users as visitors. Is that an accurate understanding of the new scenario?

TIA,
Tim.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Change in self- enrolment procedure and status of course visitors

by N Hansen -
Tim-As far as I can see here at Moodle.org, there is more to it than that. If I am not registered as a user, I can enter any course directly, and am not even taken to the log in page first to decide whether I want to create an account or log in as a guest. I guess this has always been the case at Moodle.org if I recall correctly, but I would like to know whether the option to show the login page first is not possible anymore.
In reply to N Hansen

by Tim Allen -
Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your reply.

I can answer your question. If you go to Admin --> Users --> Permissions --> User Policies, there is a checkbox for "auto-login guests" where you can still set this.

HTH,
Tim. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Allen

by Scott Brubaker -

I have auto-login guests checked and have set the courses I want to allow guests, but I am still being asked to login upon clicking on the course.  Ideas?

In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That is correct. It's possible now for registered users to enter courses seamlessly as guests, and ony enrol if they want to do anything like posting etc.

There are really three types of guests now:
  • a user who is "just visiting"
  • someone logged into the guest account
  • someone who is using the site and not logged in at all

This is how moodle.org is configured (with autologinguests on). I think it's a lot cleaner than it used to be, and the list of enrolled participants might be smaller but a more accurate reflection of people who are participating.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Andy Neil -

I thought that this was the solution to a problem I've also been looking at recently but now I'm not so sure!  I don't want just anyone to be able to access our courses (we are a junior school) however I do want parents to be able to kind of make a flying visit to some courses without having to enrol.  These parents would be users.  I don't want to have to add an enrolment key in order to keep non-users out as this would be too cumbersome.

As a registered user, then, is it possible to just briefly visit certain courses without enrolling and without using an enrolment key on the way to other courses which do need to be enroled on?

In reply to Andy Neil

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andy,

You can keep everyone without a valid account out by not enabling guest access for your Moodle site - just ensure that the guest login button is set to "hide" in Administration > Users > Authentication.

You can then enable parents to briefly visit certain courses by allowing guest access in the course settings. It's not necessary to set enrolment keys unless you want to restrict access to certain users only.

Please see the guest role documentation for further information.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Andy Neil -
Thanks very much for this.  I asn't aware it was that simple to hide the guest log in button.