Newbie site, your feedback would encourage me

Newbie site, your feedback would encourage me

by Richard Treves -
Number of replies: 7

I have wanted to produce a small, distance e-learning course on volcanoes for mature learners since producing an educational web page with US geologists in Hawaii last year.  UK Unis were dismissive of the idea.   Annoyed, and also knowing that the BB and WebCT are overpriced for a simple course I thought I could customise postNuke (a CMS) to serve as an LMS and do it myself.  It was while researching this that I came across Moodle - WOW! surprise Open Source that was exactly what I wanted.big grin

I have been here ever since, getting a lot out of the community but also putting together a trial course (Introduction to Volcanoes: key 'pele' ) trying out various features of Moodle.  Its not complete, specifically it needs:

• Polish (I've tried features out rather than making for a coherent course)
  • Materials guiding students through a text book I want to use in paralell

I've stopped working on it as I'm kind of stuck with where to go with it next.  Please have a look around, I'd value your input on:

• How could I improve it? (my admin is snowboarding so no upgrade to 1.2 yet) 
  • Should I work on it futher before hawking it around
  • Any ideas on who I could work with.

Thanks

Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Treves

Re: Newbie site, your feedback would encourage me

by Art Lader -
Dear Richard,

I spent a few minutes on your site (logged in as a guest) and thought it was a good, solid beginning. smile

I like how the site is content-rich, but also somehow friendly and funny. (I, too, find liver disgusting, and am always glad to learn that others agree.)

I hope that you will, indeed, continue to work on the course further and that you will make it available in the Moodle Exchange.

Best regards,
Art Lader

by Bryan Williams -

Richard T.,

This looks very interesting. Let's see if we can spruce things up a bit so that it will get peoples attention, leading to some enrollment.

On to the course page itself:  Select one of the totally awesome pictures from the collection of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory at http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/dds/dds-80/album.html to include with the description of what the course will entail. If there are offline activities (e.g., local field trips, meetings etc.) include this information. 

As far as activity content goes, you are the expert in geology but I can help you structure some that will engage adult learners if you are interested. Presuming this course is elective and not actually connected with say a requirement, initial activities should allow each learner to define their interest in the subject, any particular area of curiousity and experience with geologic upheaveals etc.  Prediction is a big curiousity, you could find out what learners want to know in the initial stages.

Let me know how I might help you further,

Bryan  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Richard Treves -

Hi both,

Thanks for taking the time out to have a look at my course.  I've had a look at your comments and suggestions but haven't got the time to download and 'play' at the moment - I will do in the next few days.

Thanks again,

R

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Richard Treves -

Hi Bryan,

OK, that was a lot of fun smile - given me some nice pointers about appearance of the site, have a look and thanks for your help on this.

Richard

by Bryan Williams -

Hmm..., this looks familiar.  Give me a few days and I'll try to deliver a list of ideas and a new graphic for homepage you can put type into.  I'm up to my ears in Moodle right now; seems there really is a commercial demand for services.

by Sally Student -
Cool! Richard you did an awesome job. The site is friendly, informative and easy to use.

How did you get the pixs on the opening page?

A fellow newbie.
In reply to Sally Student

by Richard Treves -

You need to have admin status to play around with this, Bryan customised me a page - couldn't do it on my own but I know how to switch the pages over.

Richard