Grading Strategies

Grading Strategies

by Alexandre Belousov -
Number of replies: 0
Hello!
I'm running moodle 1.6.3+ with standard gradebook module and experiencing some problems with the grades calculation.

What the problem is:
I've got a course, and I'm constantly adding activities to this course.
The activities are grouped into categories, each category brings some amount of grades to the final score - rather standard, isn't it?
For example, block1 has 5 activities and brings 10 points to the final score.
Block 2 will have 10 activities and will bring 20 points to the final score. The problem is that currently there're only 6 activities present, other will be added as time passes. Each activity is graded using its own 5- or 10-points scale. How can I state, that each activity should bring only 2 points to the category?
Currently I see that the category score is distributed among present activities sad

i.e.
I have:
BLOCK 2: =TOTAL 20 points in final score=
- exercise 1: internal scale 10 pts - gives 25% of the block, i.e. 5 pts to final score
- exercise 2: internal scale 10 pts - gives 25% of the block, i.e. 5 pts to final score
- exercise 3: internal scale 10 pts - gives 25% of the block, i.e. 5 pts to final score
- assignment4: internal scale 5 pts - gives 12.5% of the block, i.e. 2.5 pts to final score
- assignment4: internal scale 5 pts - gives 12.5% of the block, i.e. 2.5 pts to final score

I want:
BLOCK 2: =TOTAL 20 points in final score=
- exercise 1: internal scale 10 pts - 2 pts to final score
- exercise 2: internal scale 10 pts - 2 pts to final score
- exercise 3: internal scale 10 pts - 2 pts to final score
- assignment4: internal scale 5 pts - 2 pts to final score
- assignment4: internal scale 5 pts - 2 pts to final score
<and other activities each giving 2 pts will be added later>

- is that possible, assuming that:
(a) students should not see the activities before time comes
(b) adding hidden activities doesn't currently give correct results - in teacher's view grades are correct (as hidden activities are present and calculated), but in student's they are not (they do not see hidden activities and the distribution of score is incorrect for them, i.e. if the block has 2 modules each giving 5 pts and the second module is hidden, the student wil see 10 pts for the block (if he has5 of 5 for the 1st task)- it's confusing for students sad because when I unhide the 2nd activity, there score decreases to 5 of 10.)