Sorting students by ID number?

Sorting students by ID number?

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 5
Currently grade reports, as well as other moodle functions that list students such as the "participant list" and the quiz reports allow the students to be sorted by either first or last name. In MANY instances, a listing by "ID Number" would be more convenient since final grade reports in many parts of the world are listed in this order and need to be manually transcribed.

I, for example, often give in-class paper quizzes and then need to enter the grades manually info an "offline assignment". It is much easier for me to sort the quiz papers into rough numerical order first than into alphabetical order, particularly since the students' names are written in Japanese!

If you feel that an optional display of ID Numbers and the ability to sort by the column would be useful for you, please login in and vote for tracker bug MDL-7158.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Sorting students by ID number?

by Timothy Takemoto -
This one got my immediate vote. I have id number in the "city" field at the moment so I would like to sort them by city!
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Thomas Robb -
If you have direct access the the mysql database it would be a simple operation to move the IDs over:

update mdl_user set idnumber = city;

or if your IDs are completely numeric then the following would only copy them over if the ID was numeric, leaving those that actually contained a city:

update mdl_user set idnumber = city where idnumber > 0;
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ger Tielemans -

Along that road I use the easter-egg script from Timothy, but our users wish it in several standard overview screens, so YES, I vote in favor of this one!!

To be more precise: I use two easter eggs:

• one from Timothy to make a screenview of a table, sorted by one field
  • one from Florence University: the one to print a PDF from a course participants list in PDF or TXT
  • I have to find/learn a third script to combine a query on two or more tables and show that result on the screen. (and how to use $self ..)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Timothy Takemoto -

Hey Ger,
The Timothy you refer to is who? I only publicised the userpix eater egg. It is Martin's Easter Egg. And fun too. Click on this link now!
http://moodle.org/userpics/

And, thanks for the SQL Tom! I will use it if the feature request comes to fruition.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Ger Tielemans -
Yes it is you, and I call it YOUR Easter egg, because you gave it birth by showing it to us and giving it a name smile