Strange Moodle Issue

Strange Moodle Issue

by Justin Rogers -
Number of replies: 6
I am running on an HP server with CentOS 4.3 installed.

I am running Apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.1.3, mySQL 5.0.22.

My problem is this, on certain pages of the install and after install the page refuses to finish loading, (missing continue buttons, missing parts of pages, no footers) but here is the catch.

This only happens remotely. What I mean by remotely is any host outside the router of where the server is located.

If I am on the same Local LAN the page loads fine. If I am on a host right outside the firewall it loads fine. We have even tested jumping through two firewalls internally to the Moodle server and it works FINE.

I am at a loss. Anyone ever seen anything like this happen before?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Rogers

Re: Strange Moodle Issue

by Jonathan Moore -
I'll add to Justin that I have seen things like this happen with 3-4 setups with the server behind a firewall where pages either 1) don't load completely, or 2) server performance is really slow. These appear to be in setups where other applications work correctly, or there isn't a noticable performance issue. Not sure why this impacts Moodle more or less than anything else. I have see this with:

Cisco Pix
Novell Border Manager
MS ISA

In the case of the Pix it was almost identical. Partitial page loads

Novell and MS it was slow performance but page loads completed. In 2 of the three the issues were resolved by putting the box outside the firewall. MS ISA is still pending resolution for user reports they are in process of moving away from ISA.

In Justin's case he doesn't appear to have that option since it is a hosted server.

He reports his firewall as being:
Nokia Checkpoint.

by Justin Rogers -
To add to the issue, if I refresh the page alot, EVENTUALLY I get the entire page.

by Ken Wilson -

If we make the assumption that all moodle traffic is on port 80 (http) or smtp port, then this sounds like the firewall is dropping packets - so could be an acl issue. We're guessing really until we have log data so that the field can be narrowed down. Jonathan, did you find anything in the PIX logs to help?

Thanks

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Jonathan Moore -
Unfortunately, these were all client owned pieces of equipment that I didn't have direct access to, but I have seen it often enough now that I thought I would see if anyone else is running into this issues.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jonathan Moore -
Thanks. We did you did review the logs and there was no evidence of an error. Although we didn't do quite this extensive of debuging with the php.ini settings. However given that the error seems to be introduced by the firewall, my guess is that even with the added logging there won't be anything in the log files.

Justin moved the server outside the firewall and now everything works correctly.