HotPot version 1..2 available

HotPot version 1..2 available

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 12
This version fixes all known problems and adds a couple of enhancements. Hotpot activity now shows up in all Moodle reporting functions such as the admin/grades report, recent activity report (in left column of course page) and the indivudual user activity report. The module has now been tested with Moodle v. 1.2 beta and works without any apparent problems.

Improvements/fixes since v. 1.12 include:

* Mac-produced files: hotpot.php now completely preprocesses files with Macintosh and creates a temp file with s instead. (Since DOS files have both and they do not pose a processing problem.)
* Fixed in Grade report: For multiple instances for the same student, the last grade, not the highest grade was being reported.
* Recent attempts are flagged in the "Recent Activity" column, but just for teachers, not students.

Full information on how to install it is available in the Read.me file. The .zip file is also available from: http://tomrobb.com/HotPot.zip

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: HotPot version 1..2 available

by Dale Jones -
Tom, after I finish a hotpot exercise I get "your.server.address not found".  Where do I tell it my server address?  How can I find the marks that the kids have been awarded?

TIA
Dale
In reply to Dale Jones

by Dale Jones -
I just upgraded to the latest release and things are improved - the hotpot exercise now appears in the grade table.  However, the student's marks are still not passedfrom hotpot to the moodle grade table.  sad  Any idea what's up?
In reply to Dale Jones

by Thomas Robb -
What 'moodle grade table' are you referring to? The only table that I see in my own database is 'mdl_quiz_grades' but that is just for quizzes.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
I think he means the html tables displayed by course/grades.php not tables in the database.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Thomas Robb -
If this is a problem with the headings for the modules appearing but not the actual grades, this was fixed in the most recent version. The lib.php file is the one crucial to this function. I've attached the most recent version to this posting.

PS: Jean-Pierre Pavlak reports a problem with JMIX. I'll be posting a revised hotpot.php as soon as I have confirmed that we have found a fix for the problem.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Dale Jones -
Sorry folks, I used the wrong terminology.  I wasn't referring to database tables but I meant that when I create a hotpot exercise it doesn't appear in the Gradebook.  I suspect that the latest version will fix this for me; I'll give it a try and let you know if my problems are solved. 

Thanks for this module Tom, it's very useful now and when I get it working as you intend it will be a HUGELY useful learning tool.
In reply to Dale Jones

by Thomas Robb -
I'm afraid that the people in charge of the Gradebook will have to do whatever magic they need to do in order to allow the HotPot reports to be integrated into it. I've got all of the required hooks in place in the HotPot module so it shouldn't be too diffiicult to get it to work.

Martin has the functions that he has developed programmed so that nothing need be done in order for a new module to be proprely integrated. These functions scan the user's moodle/mod folder and then automatically look in the designated location in each for data via standard library functions.

It could be that the Gradebook function is still a bit too 'hardwired' to accommodate new modules into its reports.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Gustav W Delius -

If you are referring to the "gradebook with calculated columns" hack in cvs:/contrib/gradebook/course/grades.php: it collects its data from the modules in the same way as the original cvs:/moodle/course/grades.php. So I don't see any reason why grades from some modules should show up and not those from others.

I wonder who those people "in charge of the Gradebook" are smilethoughtful. I wish there would be many and they did a complete rewrite. Mine was a quick hack in order to get the functionality in there that we needed and I don't have the time to do a proper job sad.

In reply to Dale Jones

Re: Gradebook problem

by Thomas Robb -
I have now installed the gradebook files in v. 1.1.1 and 1.2beta and found that it works for me in both installations. Is there anyone else having problems with the gradebook function besides Dale?