Open letter to Martin

Open letter to Martin

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 21
You (and others) are probably too busy to read my long message (sorry too many things to say and too little time to prepare a shorter/summarized version) but I'm going to post it anyway just in case somebody wants to read it.

I'm glad somebody answered and finally offered an explanation about what had happened.

I'm sorry you don't like the title of the thread. As I said it was provocative because I wanted to get some answers that were not forthcoming. But to tell you the truth I thought the literary reference to Hamlet (“Something is rotten in the state of Denmark”) and the question mark would not be lost on most people. This is a rhetorical device used rather frequently by journalists in headlines when they want to imply that something is not right in a country or organization (people can see other examples here, here, or here).

So, I don't think the title is offensive or inappropriate at all if people take that into account. I added the question mark because I did not want to assert but rather ask whether everything was OK in Moodle. If you are worried about Moodle's image or reputation, I think you should worry more about the decision to shut down the infamous thread and your tacit support of this decision since I think this is more damaging than any title I might have used.

But now that I see your response and Julian's I see that something is indeed rotten (in a figurative sense) in the state of Moodle.

Look, it is very difficult for me to be writing this message. For my work I make intensive use of Moodle (and I love it) and I have received a lot of help and good vibes from many people in the community. Moodle has also become a place where I have made a lot of friends. Actually, some of the people who have been the friendliest and have helped me the most are probably the people that I have made to feel more uncomfortable in all this process. Not only am I very thankful for all this help and friendliness but I'm probably going to continue to need help in the future (and friendliness is always needed).

I'm saying this because I'm not totally sure that things will be the same and all the people will continue to be so friendly (genuinely, not fakely as might be the norm in the brave new Moodle) and helpful if I become some sort of Moodle outcast. And I might become a bit of an outcast if I continue with this message.

You might say that I'm exaggerating but in the past I've talked with some people who have expressed that kind of “fear” and told me they didn't really want to say what they thought for this kind of reason. I told them I thought they were being unduly concerned but now I'm wondering myself. I know for a fact, because I have received private messages telling me so, that there are some people who think that you people have acted wrongly in all this but they don’t want to say it publicly because they are afraid of risking the good relationships they have with others in the community.

You see, this is totally not your fault but many people admire you (well, this is your fault smile ). There is nothing wrong with admiring someone (I admire you, too) but for some people in the community, the personal admiration for you and for Moodle borders on the cultish. Moodle is indeed a cult LMS smile like there are cult movies and cult bands. This has its good things and its bad things. You know what I mean: nothing you can do or say can ever be wrong and whoever confronts you or some other chosen prominent moodler or disputes something you say is a troublesome person and not a good moodler and there might be something wrong or dubious with them. This is an extreme view, of course, but I see it happening here to some degree.

You haven't done anything to promote or encourage this, of course, but, to a greater or a lesser degree, it just happens. It’s life. I'm sure you know a bit about sociology and you know how these things are. It is part of so-called group dynamics and very frequent in many types of organizations and social groups.

What I want to say and what I don't find it easy to say is that I think that your message and Julian's message are the confirmation of the disrespectful and patronizing attitude I was criticizing. In your message you are basically telling us: “Look kids, I'm too busy with important things to be wasting my time with all your silliness. You should get busy too and stop with your crap which doesn't interest me. This is what was done by a person who is more sensible than you are and that's that”.

If all this had been said after some kind of expression of apology on your part, it would have been much nicer and less offensive. It is true (at least for myself) that I have wasted too much precious time in all this. But it is also obvious that the decision to shut down the thread has not gone down well with some people and there are some who feel insulted and patronized. So you might have done well considering their feelings as well as the feelings of the people who wanted the thread to stop and disappear from sight. Something coming from you and/or from Julian like "sorry this shouldn’t have happened or it shouldn’t have happened like this", "people make mistakes" and all that, would have been appreciated.

But for me the sad thing is that I don't think you haven't even bothered to see what was really said in that thread (I know, I know, you are too busy with important things and we should get busy, too). So, in spite of the fact that you don't appear to know much about what really went on in that thread, you just take Julian's word and assert “being confronted with free-flowing adult discussion about nazis, sexuality etc can be disturbing. We had complaints, and I can understand that point of view.” Said like this, everything really seems to be fine. The problem is it wasn’t really like this or at least this is a very poor and skewed description of it.

If someone had really bothered to read those exchanges, they could realize that there was nothing disturbing at all. Nazis or sexuality or homosexuality were simply mentioned (Nazis were mentioned only by the people who wanted to shut down the thread). There was nothing explicit at all!! It was practically just the words 'sexuality', 'homosexual', 'bisexual' being used, as in “I have a friend who is a homosexual”, and not much more than that. Nobody described a sexual act of any kind and the language was mostly “academic” and not graphic or explicit at all. If someone finds this disturbing, I really think the problem is theirs. I agree with what Nicole says in her answer to Julian. There have been many other threads (in the Open Social Forum and in the more “technical” forums) where there has been way more hostility than in this thread and they were never shut down. I have found very little hostility and bad feelings in this thread, to tell you the truth. There are way more bad feelings and hostility after the thread has been shut down.

What Julian says (and I quote below) is simply not true:

“Warnings were posted in the thread itself that were ignored. Key members of the thread were also contacted. In the end no other recourse was open so the thread had to be removed from the public view.”

There was no warning as such. Martin Langhoff and Julian himself expressed their opinion (which everybody must have thought was as valuable as the opinion of the other participants) that the discussion should stop. But they didn't say anything about any disturbing topics or about the language being used. They were just extremely patronizing and condescending saying that what we were discussing didn't really interest anybody and that we should take the discussion elsewhere. That's what really annoyed most people and what could be labeled as hostile. I’m really not inclined to end anything with this kind of arrogant attitude.

You sort of add insult to injury by condoning the behavior or your most helpful Moodlers without questioning anything they’ve done (you probably haven’t even bothered to look) and making the rest of us feel really bad when we haven't done anything improper.

I don't know who the key members of the thread were that were contacted but I certainly wasn't. None of the people complaining here seems to have been contacted by anybody except for telling them that the thread had been hidden.

All in all, the big irony in all of this is that a thread that started with the discussion about a teacher that lost her job because one parent complained that his/her child went into a museum where there were nude sculptures ends up being shut down (sorry, moderated) because one person (or two or three) complains.

There, I’ve got it off my chest. I plan to stay in the Moodle community for a long time. Perhaps not intervening in the Open Social Forum so much but I will certainly ask for help if I need it and try to offer it to others if I can (and if *really* helpful moodlers like Helen or many others are not faster than me smile). I really hope that what I said about the cultish behavior of some moodlers is just in my imagination. But if it's not, I don’t think I have to worry. The Moodle community is very large and diverse and I will always find plenty of people who will be genuinely friendly with me in spite of having written this letter. I hope that you are one of these people.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (3)
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Open letter to Martin

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Josep, I'm sorry you feel that way.   I'm sorry too about the way things happened, no-one planned it, and no one person is really responsible. 

I'm sorry too if I seem brusque ... I've not spent many hours of getting emotionally involved in some of the recent social discussions that some of you have recently.  I really am just trying to be efficient and sort things out ASAP because I'm in a position where I can.  No disrespect to anyone or any patronising was/is intended.

Personally, I didn't read much of the "art teacher" discussion, but it doesn't really matter, because it was the EFFECT it was causing that mattered, and I was hearing about that from multiple sources.  (Similar with your choice of subject line, which most people will take at face value, believe me, and not bother to read all the background, that's what the web is like).  Another factor has been the increasing frequency of such mega-discussions lately in this forum, so it's not just these topics.

I do feel sad that these forums are no longer the problem-free forums I used to promote, enjoy and show off proudly.  However, I do realise as the group grows, and investment of everyone increases, there will be greater diversity of all types, and we should take it as a challenge to deal with it.  Personally, I've always found a few deep breaths (or sleeping on it) tends to help.

Regardless, this will all be sorted out.  As I said, the art teacher discussion will be restored along with the rest of this forum in the new course.  From what I can see over there people share my mood that this is an exciting development and overall this is going to be a really positive thing!   I certainly hope you too can use that space to express and explore yourself.

Cheers!
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response to my letter. I'm glad to hear you are sorry too about the way things happened. I think we should all be sorry about the way this whole thing developed. I know I am.

I think moving the social forum to a separate section might be a good solution for many reasons. I always found it a bit confusing that it was in a course called 'using Moodle' because very often the postings had very little to do with using Moodle other than the discussions were carried out using Moodle forums. It also adds an extra layer of protection for those who are hypersensitive to certain topics of conversation. The only good argument I heard in this whole debate was Dan Marsen's point that people (sometimes children) go into the 'Using Moodle' course and navigate around not necessarily looking for anything in particular and you don't want them to encounter discussions about certain topics that are so far removed from Moodle. Children aside, I still think that no adult was ever forced to click on the thread and read any discussions (this goes for Bryan's comments about "having to endure" the long discussion). But I also think that Dan's is a valid point and making the Moodle Lounge a totally different section might somewhat solve this "problem".

I still think, though, that it might be a good idea to establish some clearer guidelines about what is allowed and what is not allowed in the social forum and some clear protocols for facilitators as to how they can intervene. As you say, the Moodle community is growing larger and larger and more diverse and even if the Moodle lounge is separated from Using Moodle, you or other Moodle people are likely to be contacted by people who are unhappy about how a certain discussion is going. The Moodle community is large enough that you could even have now some bushites that might be unhappy or find it disturbing that someone starts a thread like the one Tim Allen mentioned in the other message. I notice rereading that thread that even in those happier and more problem-free times there were already people asking you to kill threads. This is going to be worse now.

I personally think I'm going to stay away from getting immersed in political, philosophical or any type of discussion about any controversial topic here at moodle.org. This is one of the lessons I've learned from all this. It's too bad because I cannot think of many other environments in the net where such discussions can be more pleasant, productive and enriching. But there are other people that see it differently and I must respect this. Being tolerant with intolerance has the outcome that intolerance always wins. But that's ok sometimes. This outcome would not be acceptable for me in real life but if it means peace in moodle.org and less complications for people who are working hard at making the Moodle software better, it is a perfectly acceptable outcome. I want to continue to be an active member of Using Moodle and find out about exciting new developments and give my opinion or constructive criticism about the way this or the other module is being implemented and ask for this non-standard module or patch to become standard and all that. If that's all I get from moodle.org that's more than enough for me.

But the fact that I'm going to stay away doesn't mean that everybody else is going to stay away from potentially contentious topics. Very recently some people were about to start discussions about topics that even I would caution against carrying out here in moodle.org such as the Middle East conflict. So headaches for you might not stop and it might be a good thing for you guys to spend sometime trying to decide how you will cope with this in the future.

And now back to work.

Ah, no!, one last thing. You guys don't be too hard on Tim Allen for his message (which I couldn't read) and please don't find it too disturbing that he could have second-guessed his not finding that he is a PHM in this forum. Independently of whether this whole fiasco was planned or not or whether anybody is responsible or not, the decision to shut down that thread in the way it was done has had these kinds of undesirable consequences. There has been an erosion of the bond of trust that was previously established for some people. You have to understand that, too. And Tim's reaction has to be understood in this unpleasant context (sleep deprivation can also make things worse smile I can personally attest to that). I'm sure that after the misunderstandings are cleared things will be OK.

Josep M.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Josep, I hope over time you'll feel freer to post here and show your true avatar again.  After all, that was one of the main reasons for moving here.

You seem to be assuming a lot about me and projecting a lot of your serious feelings on me.  I'm actually totally positive about this event now and not worried at all. Things will work out if we, as a group, want them to.  smile

Peace and get some sleep!

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Martin. What I said about not posting any more messages in threads about controversial topics is not part of some kind of pouting of mine after what has happened or that I want to express that I'm hurt or anything like that. Honestly. What happens is that I have come to realize that perhaps this is not the right kind of community to engage in these kinds of discussions. I'm serious.

For me one of the most amazing things in this whole affair is to have found out that there were actually people who were scandalized or uncomfortable enough with the exchange that was going on in that thread to actually contact you or the moderators and ask you to try to stop it. I honestly cannot find anything in that exchange that would really justify that even in the kind of community moodle.org is. But you are totally right about what you said in your message: what's important is the EFFECT that it has. Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to change much for having moved the Open Social Forum here. The people who complained about that thread are also part of the community and they are also going to be in this new space. So, although I really hope I'm mistaken, there is bound to be problems again.

Your perspective on things changes if you know you are going to make people uncomfortable. I'm not only talking about myself. I don't know whether it was me or somebody else or the subject matters that make people uncomfortable. But it really doesn't matter. The conclusion I reached, and it is really nothing emotional but rather intellectual, is that this might not be the right place to engage in these kinds of debates.

Well, that and the other thing that you said, which, although it annoyed me smile is totally true, we should get busy with other things as well. I enjoy these discussions but then afterwards I have to do a lot of catching up with the work that I haven't done and that needs to be done. So one less temptation is a good thing smile

And I have been getting some sleep for quite a few weeks. I mentioned the lack of sleep because of what Tim said remembering other times when I had been sleep deprived smile

As for the avatar, you are right. I said I would maintain it until we knew what had happened and the thread was restored again. There is no reason not to return to the other avatar (although I kind of got to like the pink elephant). I'm in my office at work (please don't tell them I'm posting in the forums, taxpayers would really ask for my head) and I don't have any pictures handy. But when I get home I will find some picture and put it back in my avatar.

Peace.

by Tim Allen -
Hi Josep,

I appreciate your concern about my faux pas - I think you understand why I made it and I am sure that it will not be a problem. tongueout

I think this will probably be my last post on this affair, but I just want to say that I agree that moving the social forum to a separate course is only a partial solution. I think that this change might make the potential problems less likely to occur but it will not make the problem go away. The problem could happen again if such topics come back here.

So I think that we do need clear guidelines about what should be done in case this happens again - I think that such guidelines could serve to defuse the situation for all parties and to mimimise any bad feelings that might occur in the community.

Sometimes I think this situation is analagous to the history of the early Internet, when it was an unregulated, free, peaceful medium. When the 'net was commercialized the old guard decried the introduction of laws regulating what was done on the Internet, but the reality was that with the explosion in the number of users in this medium it was necessary to do so - and the same situation applies, I think, here at moodle.org. The community here is so large and diverse that I believe there should be explicit procedures laid out as to how to deal with potential areas of conflict here, such as occurred in this situation just passed.

However, it seems most people just want to drop it and hope that the new home for the social forum will be enough. I hope it is. mixed

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Josep -

I have stayed out of these discussions intentionally, but I need to say my piece now.

There seems to be too many people reading ulterior motives in what are otherwise innocent attempts at being helpful. You take offense (or so it seems) at Martin's inability to read through the exceptionally long discussions that are in question, but you have to understand he has many more things to do. What is important to you is not necessarily as important to others.

I believe Martin's suggestion and solution is a good one. Move the Social discussions to a completely different course so that those who wish to can carry on those discussions. You have to understand that although it has evolved, Moodle.org is primarily a community to support and discuss the issues that affect Moodle and its development. Most people come to this site looking for Moodle help. We have to make sure that they see that function first, and find that help easily. The social activities can continue, but let's make sure they are easily differentiatied. Many (most?) other applications don't even encourage a social side.

mike

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)

by Frances Bell -
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am one of those people Josep.  It has been an unexpected benefit for me of

the last week that I feel I have got to know you better, and I am convinced

that you have a real commitment to the Moodle community.

Martin's solution has some real promise to continue the social forum and open up periodic

discussion

about what happens around here (though I for one need a break from that for a while).

I also want to talk some more with you about ways of reducing misunderstanding in the forum,

and how Moodle might support those.

I now understand better about 'Particularly Helpful Moodlers' - I am glad that they have not

become police or school prefectswink

Rock on Josep.

Good Cults and Good Democratic Hats

by Timothy Takemoto -

I agree with most of what Josep has to say regarding the cult of moodle. One of my first posts to moodle.org says similar things. But, I think there is a good cult going on.

As a studen of religion, I am in favour of "cults", that is to say religions, or philosophically, spiritually and charismatically (PSC) united groups. I think that they are natural and sometimes, and in this case, nice, warm, cohesive, positive and cooperative. I am glad that Moodle is one of them.

I find that these groups spring up everywhere. Perhaps even if one wanted to, they are impossible to avoid. The flickr, flikerati, the new online Christian thing going on at Typo3...philosophically, spiritually and charismatically (PSC) united groups are really common, and they work. Indeed, it is in the places where are good and friendly atmosphere of this PSC type occur, that we see massive cooperation. I bet that there are lot of other similar onlie groups that are working well.

I think that Moodle works particularly well in this religious regard. Martin is a very good PSC leader. E.g. his response to the recent issue was pretty darn persuasive, caring, motivating, and PSC if you ask me. 

As I argued on the deleted thread, there are merits to religion, to faith in someone, and in some ideal. (Social choice theory) Democracy and reason have their costs.

At the same time, there are also merits to rational, democracy and free, non faith based, human choice. 

So, I would like to propose again, (a bit like my teaching style) a mixed mode approach. 

At the moment "Particularly Helpful Moodler" hats are awarded by the holy Martin. They are divinely (and well) chosen illuminati.

I think that as well as these "hats" it might be a good idea to have a parallel democratic approach.

The moodle forums allow for peer to peer appraisal. If these appraisals were visible as grades, then when a member reaches a certain grade, or level of democratic, peer appraisal, then they might be allowed to enter the ranks of a similar but slightly different group: Particularly Appraised Moodlers.

Cults and democracy are both good.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Good Cults and Good Democratic Hats

by Tim Allen -
Well it seems that I am no longer a PHM.  I don't really mind as it is just a label and I will continue to help people as I can regardless.  I do however think that the timing is unfortunate.

[Edit: What a foolish mistake - thanks for putting me right Martin, I really should be in bed, it is 4:30 am in Sydney; in the circumstances please allow me the luxury of editing my words a little.  blush  ]
In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Tim!!   No-one is a PHM here.

This forum is now in a new course with no groups, whereas the PHM's are a group in Using Moodle (for people who are particularly helpful to people who need support in those forums).

It's up to the facilitators (and perhaps a vote) to decide if there should be similar things here, but my vote would be to not have any groups at all in this social setting.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tim!

Its a new course! With a whole new set of groups!

Calm down!

Has something been put into the water at moodle.org? Why has everyone suddenly got so sensitive?!

surprisecoolcool
mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Tim Allen -
Sorry guys, you are right.  That post by Steve Hyndman set me off I think, where he said "Demoted PHM".  I didn't know what he meant and then...well, anyway, I think that tolerance of human foibles is a virtue.  wink

I gotta go to bed.  sleepy

Hooray for Moodle!
In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
For the record I have *no* problem *at all* with anything you've written recently, it was a valid viewpoint based on the limited information you had, and I'd probably have thought the same in your position.

So please don't feel persecuted or anything (I find it disturbing that you could even think that!)

by Tim Allen -
Hi Martin, thanks a lot for your reassurance. approve I tried to explain my reaction by the two factors of lack of sleep and having just read Steve Hyndman's post which along with the somnolence probably made me feel hypersensitive.

With respect to the issue of the removed thread, I am sure that I would have responded a little differently had I had fuller information, but I actually don't think I would have taken a much different line. And regardless of whether what happened was right or wrong, I feel that the reasons for such critical decisions should be made public at the outset, so that people like myself are able to form an opinion while in possession of all the facts.

Cheers,
Tim.

by Timothy Takemoto -
I send these waffly posts and they don't mean anything to anyone.

I would like, for some self-serving reason, to explain a bit more about "social choice theory," which I probably misunderstand. It is not so complicated. It is about the dangers of being rational.

The most oft quoted game theory game is the prisioners dilemma.

From the wikipedia article

Two suspects, A and B, are arrested by the police. The police have insufficient evidence for a conviction, and, having separated both prisoners, visit each of them to offer the same deal: if one testifies for the prosecution against the other and the other remains silent, the betrayer goes free and the silent accomplice receives the full 10-year sentence. If both stay silent, the police can sentence both prisoners to only six months in jail for a minor charge. If each betrays the other, each will receive a two-year sentence. Each prisoner must make the choice of whether to betray the other or to remain silent.

The choices can be represented like this....
Prisoner B Stays Silent Prisoner B Betrays
Prisoner A Stays Silent Both serve six months Prisoner A serves ten years
Prisoner B goes free
Prisoner A Betrays Prisoner A goes free
Prisoner B serves ten years
Both serve two years

The best outcome for the prisioners is that they both keep silent, and cooperate with each other. However, if they act rationally then they will think
If he keeps silent, then I am better off ratting on him because I will go free.
If he rats on me, then I am better off ratting on him because if I don't I get ten years.

So either way each prisioner looks at it, it is better to rat/sneak on the other guy. This self-serving rationality on the part of each prisioner leads, alas, to the "nash equilibrium" that they both serve two years. This is worse that the ideal top left). If only they could have behaved irrationally.

Other similar situations are,

Two soldiers face an approaching army. They each have a gun. Do they run or do they stay and fight?

Soldier B fights Soldier B runs
Soldier A fights Both have a 10% chance of dying  Soldier A wil die, Soldier B lives
Soldier A does a runner  Soldier B dies, Soldier A will live. Both have a 80% chance of dying.

Again if the soldiers act rationally out of self-interest, then whatever their partner does, it is better to run.

The "approaching army" can be anything. It can be the approaching depletion of resources, as in anothe famous example "the tradegy of the commons." E.g.  If there is some common land set aside for times of need and a group of famers. Do they graze on the land or do they not? If they behave rationally then they will all graze the land, which as a result becomes barren.

In all cases, rational choice results in a non-ideal outcome. 

Some social choice theorist apply this to democracy.

Governments spend publich money. If everyone acts rationally to maximise their own good, then everyone will vote for the Government that spends money on their interests. But as a result, the Government spends to the hilt, taxes are raised and the country goes down the tubes.

Some go further. Compare the sitatution where there is a democracy and a monarch. As we have seen democracies tend to vote themselves into taxational, inflationary, oblivion. But a monarch, who identifies with the country, and desires its continued well being, can steer the populace to the top left hand corner of the tables above.

This scenario points to the benefits of coercion. E.g.

If the prisioners both know that if they rat/sneak on their partner then when they get out someone will kil them for being a rat then they will both act optimally and keep quiet. Or if the soldiers are chained to their posts then, in a sense they can be thankful for their chains.

This situation can, theoretically be applied to moodle.

Moodler B helps others Moodler B does not help 
Moodler A helps others Moodler A and B gain benefit. Moodler B gains benfit and does not have to help others.
Moodler A does not help  Moodler A gains benfit and does not have to help others. Both Moodlers do not get help.

Again, if everyone acts rationally, then they will try and get as much help as possible without helping anyone else.

The rational choosers, prefered "Nash equilibria" are in red.

That aint human nature? Well maybe and maybe not.

But if there is a "monarch" that cares about moodle as moodle, and rewards those that help others and does not reward those that don't then there is likely to be a culture of help.

Hence the situation we find ourselves in, perhaps.

Tim

by Frances Bell -
That was fascinating Tim though the soldier example looks wrong somehow.
I am with you on promoting a culture of help though I am not so sure about a 'democratic' way of doing it. Maybe others have examples of how these systems work in other communities?
In reply to Frances Bell

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I will suggest the best democratic way is to lead by example. And is that hard to do as a human individual (my opinion). I certainly have a hard time walking the way I am talking.

I like the flock of geese metaphor for leadership. First, they are really noisy. Second, the point position in the V constantly changes in flight. Third, the members are flexible, even with their roles.

The V formation is efficient, as those off the point do less work because of air flow. However the point requires the most energy. So many birds rotate through the point position on their day's journey and this benefits the group.

For those who have never seen a flock in the air, they are loud. They almost seem to spend as much energy communicating as they do in actually flying. I would like to believe this is how they determine who goes next, when and perhaps even direction of their flight.

Sometimes a large V breaks up into smaller ones and reforms Sometimes when one bird is hurt and has to drop out of the flock, a couple of other's will join it. The flock has a method of taking off and of making sure the young one get tucked in. But who is "the leader" in this complex task?

I could go on but that gives the general idea. Sure sounds like Moodle to me. Honk, honk .

by Bryan Williams -
Hi Josep,

Like Mike I've been watching this from the sidelines and decided at the begining I really had nothing important to say so I stayed out of the discussion.wink  I do think that your contributions, like some of the others, may have helped a few people construct new knowledge of themselves.smile That is a good part of what these forums are about IMO, so I believe a purpose was served.

I found myself wondering however why the originator (or one of the participants) of this discussion didn't take it private by using Moodle's wonderful Blog feature. Those interested could grab the RSS feed and keep it going for as long as the interest was there, and the rest of the community wouldn't have had to endure whatever direction the conversation went in.

Bryan
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Timothy Takemoto -

Bryan.."endure"? You mean "enjoy" surely!? I did.

I think that there may be a tendency for those that are financially invovled in moodle to see the margins (i.e. not directly moodle system related) of moodle debate as something that needs to be "endured". But, at the same time, it is debate bit that fuels the community, and the funding.

Bearing in mind the purity of Josep's involvement in the forums, I suggest that perhaps it is Josep that is a religious moodler. And that is good, pure, worthy, spiritual.

Tim

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Frances Bell -
Bryan,
Could you explain a bit more about how discussion could focus aroung blogs? My understanding is that blogs don't have comments so I am not sure how that works.