FREE Videoconferencing!

FREE Videoconferencing!

by David Huston -
Number of replies: 3
I have been researching live multi point video conferencing/web conferencing software for several weeks.  It's a very fast-changing market out there with many new competitors and software every week.

WebEx  and Elluminate are big players in this market.  ePop and MS LiveMeeting are also prominent.  InstantPresenter is a very attractive new product.  A bit less expensive than the others.

They are ALL very expensive--$2,000 a year and up.

Recently I have discovered a very fine application that offers FREE service to anyone who has three or fewer users at a time (<90 minutes/session):  Spreed.com

It has application sharing, chat, polls/mood measures, multi point video, VOIP, whiteboard, annotation tools, file transfers and downloads, automatic email invitations, etc.

It's a Flash-based system.  You can host and attend meetings using any sort of platform (Windows/Mac/Linnux).

If you want more users at a time, pretty inexpensive "channels" are available ($600-->5/$1200-->10-->per year).  You can use it for unlimited amounts of meeting and times.

I have seen a specialized server for their software advertised, but I don't know the details.  I think it would be for large universities and corporations that want to handle lots of streaming video.

The application is written in Python and uses quite a bit of Open Source software for the infrastructure.  I don't think there is any recording of sessions.

It's worth checking out.  This is a German firm, so unfortunately the documentation is all in German, but the web site is in both languages.

Hey, Art--maybe you could translate for us?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Huston

Re: FREE Videoconferencing!

by Simon Clegg -

I must say David, I am quite surprised there have been no replies to this post.

I've just had a look at the website and it looks like an amazing service! I've only had a preliminary browse of the website but it looks fantastic so far.

There is now much more English support. So I think people should take notice.

The free service allows 90-minutes of conferencing for up to three users and 15MB of file exchanges. This is ample for small time training/support/demonstration purposes.

I am always searching for ways to exploit the web for Language Education and this looks like a potentially top-notch solution (please also see YackPack).

I would love to hear from anybody else who has tried spreed.

In reply to Simon Clegg

by Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz -

"I must say David, I am quite surprised there have been no replies to this post."

Look at www.dimdim.com that's why!

Cheers Lori

In reply to Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hello all,

The new Moodle Dimdim Integration pack is released http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176809&package_id=228683&release_id=531825.

This pack includes the following fixes / enhancement:
1. Conference key will be random
2. Backup and restore
3. Support with Moodle 1.9
4. Removed the depricated functions
5. Dimdim Meeting settings added which includes Audio/Video configuration.

If you are facing with any issues or feedback, do let us know at rajesh@dimdim.com

Regards,
-Rajesh
rajesh@dimdim.com