Also, I enabled perfdebug, but I don't see how I can use the ruby script without access to the server. I don't see how I can execute the ruby script remotely.
With perfdebug, I previewed the quiz that I gave to students which caused the server to lockup and watched the information at the bottom of the page. The quiz has 25 questions (multiple choice and fill-in the blank).
0.616691 secs Included 25 files ticks: 79 user: 15 sys: 1 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 1.35
View Quiz Summary with view.php
0.419604 secs Included 53 files ticks: 54 user: 26 sys: 3 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 1.05
When I load the preview with attempt.php
0.911367 secs Included 54 files ticks: 116 user: 41 sys: 6 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 2.87
If I submit one question at a time with attempt.php
0.520901 secs Included 54 files ticks: 67 user: 35 sys: 2 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 4.24
(this does vary, but consider the average) Multiply this by 29 questions and this is 1675 user: 875 sys: 50 cuser
If I submit all and finish with review.php
1.733391 secs Included 54 files ticks: 222 user: 34 sys: 4 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 2.55
0.27798 secs Included 36 files ticks: 35 user: 18 sys: 5 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 1.80
If I am reading, adding and estimating this correctly,
the sum of this is 2102 user: 1009 sys: 69 cuser
or 3180 queries/quiz or queries/student
I looked back at my logs and found at one of the peaks of the students use. There was 14 students taking the quiz (and 140 different pages in my log). Therefore, 14 students * 3180 queries = 44520 queries. This estimate comes very close to the 50,000 queries/hour limit. WoW! I am surprised by this number of queries. I was almost certain, my provider was full of it.
It should be noted that the pages I quoted (14 students *25 pages/students =350 pages) are considerably more than I found in the the log (140 pages). This is probably because not all users started/finished the quiz within one hour. This also means that the estimate is probably high.
By the way my server info is: