book module installation problem

book module installation problem

by Sam Rudd -
Number of replies: 11

Hi ,

I'm sure I've missed something. I've unpacked the book_16 module in to the mod directory and renamed it to book. I've restarted my computer and cannot find it on the administration, any one got any ideas?

Thanks

sam x

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Rudd

Re: book module installation problem

by Stuart Frankland -

Sam,

Did you restart your computer or restart moodle?, if you restarted the computer you could have lost the thread to the book module, and though the folder and sub folders are all in the correct place it does not know they exist.

Simple answer, delete book folder from Mod and start again, I have done this a number of times on a laptop setup just to make sure everything works before migrating to our live moodle.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Stuart

In reply to Stuart Frankland

by Sam Rudd -
Hi I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I have deleted the book module and put it back in to the mod folder I've opened moodle and its still not there. I have put it in the mod section and renamed it to book. Was there something else I was suppossed to have done? I haven't yet successfully managed to add a module, so I must have missed sommething lol.
In reply to Sam Rudd

by Stuart Frankland -

Sam,

Did you copy the Lang /en_utf8 book.php into your Lang folder?, and the Lang Help files into Lang /Help?

Stuart

In reply to Stuart Frankland

by Sam Rudd -
I copied the language folders in to the lang folder in moodle.. I don't know what the language help is.. whats book.php? Its still not playing ..lol
In reply to Sam Rudd

by Eric Hagley -
Have you gone to the main admin area on the front page, gone to "modules" and opened the "eye" beside the book module there? This is also necessary.
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Sam Rudd -
I logged in on admin went to configuration, modules, and its not there so its not finding it properly from the directory. I've missed something I'm sure lol
In reply to Sam Rudd

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
 Did you visit your admin page to complete the installation?

(http://docs.moodle.org/en/Non-standard_modules#Module_installation)
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

by Sam Rudd -
This would be my missing link thanx very much.. x
In reply to Sam Rudd

by Eric Hagley -
Just going through the steps once more:
you go to moodle.org and download the book module from the dowload section.
It downloads to your computer as a zip file with name book_16.zip
you upload this to your server into the moodle/mod directory.
you unzip it there
you change the name on the unzipped folder to book
you go to the admin section of your site
it should go through a quick "updating book module" process.
you click on modules in your admin section and check firstly if it is there - if it is make sure the "eye" is open. If not, then I'm not sure what you have done!
If you have used the module before and there is left over in your database, you will have to clear that out. Can't go searching for you now, but the method to do this is outlined in another thread.
Hope you get there. I like the book module! Thanks to those who created it!
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Sam Rudd -

It works! thanks for your help..

Sam x

In reply to Eric Hagley

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

you go to the admin section of your site
it should go through a quick "updating book module" process.

It should, but in my case (1.6.3) it did not, so I run moodle/admin/index.php by hand to get it to create the database tables.