Words not being displayed anymore :(

Words not being displayed anymore :(

by wicked bob -
Number of replies: 8
Hi there

Please could somebody help me.
My FTP program went mental on my Moodle installation while uploading today and now my Moodle site doesn't display common words through the site, eg, instead of a login link, Moodle now displays login.
Everything that is part of the common interface is has been replaced by terms with double square brackets around the terms, eg, term .

What can I do to fix this?

Appreciate any help.

BoB.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to wicked bob

Re: Words not being displayed anymore :(

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The double square brackets appear when Moodle cannot find strings in a language file. In your case, it looks as though you need to reinstall your language files.

-- Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by wicked bob -
Thanks Gordon.

Is that as simple as deleting the Lang directory and re-uploading it??
In reply to wicked bob

by A. T. Wyatt -
I would think so!  That is what I have done in the past when one of my languages files was not  uploaded properly.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by wicked bob -
Hmmm.. Well I have done that and the problem remains.
I have logged in as admin and re-selected english as the default language.
I have cleared my cache, restarted the browser and reloaded the moodle site.
Still coming up with double brackets on everything.

Would something else also cause this?
In reply to wicked bob

by Thomas Robb -
Moodle versions up to 1.5+ stored all of the language directories in moodle/lang/ but from v. 1.6 the main language directory is located inside your moodledata directory.   The only files that are required inside the moodle/lang directory are "en" and "en_utf8".  Make sure that those are there. 

You can add other languages to the moodledata/lang directory via the admin/language page.

In reply to Thomas Robb

by wicked bob -
Thanks for that.

I think I have uploaded some directories from 1.6 instead of the original 1.5 and this has contributed to some of my problems.

I am doing a clean installation of 1.6 now.
Is there an easy way to restore all the data from my 1.5 installation to 1.6?
Also, will my custom theme work the same between 1.5 and 1.6??

Thanks for helping!
In reply to wicked bob

by Thomas Robb -
Upgrading doesn't require you to touch the data.  All you are doing is replacing the moodle folder.  Rename the original directory from "moodle" to "moodleold" and then add the new one. Once you have done that, you just need to set the config.php file inside the new folder so that it is pointing to the original database and original moodledata folder.  Just open up the config.php file in the "moodleold" directory and copy & paste the config data over the similar lines in the new folder.  Once that is done, try to access moodle via your web browser and the new code will take it from there, updating all of the old databases with any new tables or fields, etc.

If you have a custom theme, drag it from your old moodle/theme directory to the new one.  I would do this, however, once you have the new Moodle working since it would add one new layer of possible complications if it doesn't work properly.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by wicked bob -
Thanks Thomas.

That appears to have fixed my problems.
Moodle seemed to automatically update my databases (which was handy!).

I appreciate everybody's help.