Premade Roles

Premade Roles

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 7
When I look at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Roles, it seems that there might be "premade" roles included in 1.7. I hope I am right about that. I am, am I not?

-- Art
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Premade Roles

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Art,
as far as I know the roles described in the page you mention are not implemented yet in Moodle 1.7 beta. Would be great to have at least some of them enabled when the 1.7 become ready fopr production site.  To do this i think it would be necessary to better define the contexts and capabilities of each role whithin Moodle , currently only described by word. I would be glad to help.
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Art Lader -
Hi, Andrea,

I have not yet really looked at 1.7, but I do hope that there will be a few of the most obvious roles already included, if practical. That would make life easier for a lot of Moodlers, I think.

I have to admit that I am a bit out of my depth at this point, though.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Yes, Art, the roles mentioned here    are already there in 1.7.  So, for example, when you go to Assign Roles in a course, you will see:
Admin, Teacher, Course Creator, Student..  and, the roles already assigned in 1.6, for example teachers, will be the same as they were.  So, if the course had two teachers you will see Teachers 2.  If you click on Teachers, you should see Exisiting teachers on the left and Potential teachers on the right.
In reply to Art Lader

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You have my vote on getting some of those roles in there - especially some of the larger ones. I would certainly encourage the parent role and perhaps school counselor could be worked in. Having the infrastructure to support roles is very exciting. I suspect that as 1.7 develops into 1.7.1 that perhaps predefined roles can be developed. I anticipate that there will be a bit of a learning curve for how roles work as it seems somewhat complicated. Predefined roles would help to allow users to take advantage of the roles without having to learn how they actually work (which may be a good or a bad thing) but I will leave that to be debated in the open social forum wink Peace.

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think we should have lots of predefined roles.

But we should have a way to easily import and export role definitions, and an area on moodle.org where people can share ones they have made.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Art Lader -
> a way to easily import and export role definitions,
> and an area on moodle.org where people can share
> ones they have made

Good thinking!

-- Art