drag and drop rearrangment of course topics work erratically in 1.7 beta

drag and drop rearrangment of course topics work erratically in 1.7 beta

by Rob Johnson -
Number of replies: 18
  When I drag and drop course categories in 1.7 beta, the results are inconsistent.  If I rearrange the topic order in my test class, some topics are often in a different order after I take another action.  For example, I move four topics around at random and then turn editing off.  My actions may or may not be remembered by Moodle.  Sometimes the topics are in the same order as before; sometimes one ore two of the topics are in the new order, and the others are in the old.

This happens with FF and IE 6 (I have not tested IE7).  Does drag and drop work consistently for you?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Johnson

Re: drag and drop rearrangment of course topics work erratically in 1.7 beta

by Bill White -
Hi Rob,

Actually with FF the rearranging of topics isn't a problem for me. It works fine and they stay where I put them. (Haven't tested with IE yet)

My problem is I can't move any of the assignments, resources, etc around within a topic or week. Is AJAX enabled for this in 1.7? The icon for dragging things around is shown so I assumed that these objects are enabled for drag and drop.

Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Rob Johnson -
Bill - I just tried to move a few items within a topic and it seemed to work fine.  This was in FF.  I will also report that dragging blocks around produced inconsistent behavior.  Dragging "Recent Activity" from the right to left side eliminated the block all together.  Another issue is the inability to increase the indent of items within a topic.  In previous Moodle versions, items could be indented so as to appear nested under the previous item.

Overall I really like the drag and drop feature.  It will be great when it works consistently.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Timothy Takemoto -
My drag and drop experience has been a bit inconsistent too using Maxthon (a skinned IE). I changed some weeks around but after a few drag and drops, I would drag a big activity-laden week and the outline shadow would be of a small empty week, and the changes stopped being reflected (or perhaps I was moving empty weeks around).

The Ajax also seem to add a lot of load slowing down page display (course views are blank even on my desktop easyphp moodle for about 15-20 seconds), so I think that AJAX should be part of a super editing mode (like Audun Hauge's block it replaces) rather than on all the time if set to be on in the user profile. The start and stop of this super-edit mode might also improve consistency, by taking a snapshot and saving changes (again like in Audun's block).

Is there a bug for this?
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I highly advise updating often to later versions of the Beta ... there are a number of known issues in the AJAX interface being worked on (see the tracker).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: drag and drop rearrangement of course topics work erratically in 1.7 beta

by Rob Johnson -
The latest 1.7 beta+ as of 10/22/06 work consistently with drag and drop rearrangement of topics and items within topics. This is a great feature.big grin The one thing missing is the ability to indent items. Will this still be supported?
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
    Hello,

like you "Another issue is the inability to increase the indent of items within a topic.", i really find that this is something very usefull, and i really hope that it won't diseappear with next versions of Moodle !
In reply to Bill White

by Bill White -
Hi,

Just tested with IE 6 and moving blocks and topics around work fine, but moving assignments and resources still doesn't work.

This is on the latest build updated this morning GMT+9 via cvs.

So not sure why and I am not so good using the issue tracker. I need to learn how to use the issue tracker to report these kinds of issues. Hopefully will have some time this week to go over the documentation.

I still think 1.7 is really slick and can't wait for the stable version to be released for production, even though I won't use it until next semester.

Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Bill, which theme do you use? If you may use Chameleon please try to change the theme and check if it works. There is a bug in the YUI library which affects drag&drop in Chameleon sad

I hope this helps
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Bill White -
Urs,

Thanks. I was using Chameleon and I changed it to another and all is working well.
I hope Chameleon will work in the future as I love this theme as well as my students.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Urs Hunkler -
Bill,

waiting for an update to the reported bug in the YUI library seams too insecure. Therefore I changed the Chameleon CSS. With your next update Chameleon should work with Drag&Drop.

The culprit is the body border width which builds the green top stripe.

Urs
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Bill White -
Urs,

I updated via cvs at 7pm today and still doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to do some fiddling somewhere to make it work?

But I want to thank you for the Chameleon theme as this is wonderful. My students love it and like to change it often.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Urs Hunkler -

Bill,

please check if you got the new version. You see the difference in the smaller green top stripe or whatever colour yours has wink In the new original version it doesn't touch the page borders.

If you haven't got the new one because the anonymous Moodle 1.7 version may not be updated yet, you may set the body border-top to "0" in your theme. You will loose the green strip but you will be able to check if drag&drop is working.

You opened the possibility to change the theme to your students? As I heard many times this may be the nightmare of a support person. When we worked on the theme I had this opportunity in mind. May you have the time to tell a bit about your experiences?

I hope this helps.
Urs

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Marc Dastous -

I have several issues with this feature.

1. I can no longer indent resources. 
  2. Many of my users have already upgraded to IE 7.  When I move a resource in IE 7 the resource disappears.
  3. When I drag and drop several resources the browser freezes for a minute or two and then works again.
  4. I also have lost changes when I hit the back button, it works like an undo function.

I am using Beta 1.7 version 2006101000

Marc

In reply to Rob Johnson

by John Ryan -
Hi,

I've just downloaded the latest build of 1.7 beta (28 Oct) and updated the version I downloaded a couple of days ago.

Drag and drop previously worked (after a fashion -I kept getting messages about a script taking a long time to complete) but now it doesn't work at all and I get the old move and indent icons.

I've tested this on IE 7 and Firefox 2.

I am using Moodle 1.7 beta + (2006101002)

On a separate note, when I change role within a course from admin to student I still see hidden files. This works fine when logged in as a teacher of the course.

John
In reply to John Ryan

by Ken Wilson -

Hi John

Looking at the top of the code in moodle/lib/ajax/ajaxlib.php, we have this:

// Okay. AJAX is nowhere near ready. Disabling until all the major
// issues are resolved.

The function then simply returns. This recent tracker mdl-7254 shows that AJAX has been turned off at site level, with $CFG-enableajax defaulting to false.

There are stability problems with IE, so my guess is that the developers have more work to do to get it stable wink.

Ken

In reply to John Ryan

by Urs Hunkler -

John, Ken is right. The Ajax drag&drop feature has been deactivated.

It's better for the moment to go this way than to produce too many errors and may be angry bug reports wink The bugs will be resolved and the feature turned on again.

If you want to turn on Ajax for your Moodle installation, just comment out the return on line 12 in lib/ajax/ajaxlib.php. And be aware of possible inconsistent behaviour.

Thanks for your patience
Urs

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry, Urs this is already out of date now. smile There is now a new setting in admin called "enableajax" that defaults to OFF.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Urs Hunkler -

Martin even better. No need to say sorry. The admin setting is just the next step towards the perfectly working Drag&Drop course editing.

I am sure other steps will follow smile