Databases: Moodle Database Study

Databases: Moodle Database Study

by Christian Milani -
Number of replies: 27

Hello guys!

I studied moodle DB and i wrote a full description of every important filed and table.
$version = 2004013101 $release = "1.2 development".

Can someone have a look at it and modify/add/remove some informations?

I hope it is usefull for u.

Martin i wrote u an e-mail but u didnt answer... sorry if i ask in the forum too.

Have a nice day

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Milani

Re: Databases: Moodle Database Study

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, sorry about that ... really busy ... thanks for posting it here.

by Les Kopari -
Hi Christian,

Nice work...which version of the schema did you use: MySQL or Postgres?

How are you using it?

What do you want done with it?

Is it done manually or automatically?
In reply to Les Kopari

by Christian Milani -

Hello! Thx for your answer!

I used MySql schema.

Im a developper on the Edukalibre projeckt, i work in Lugano university (Switzerland) and i'm implementing the visual student monitoring module.

I did it manually because i need to know how moodle stores the informations and how to retrieve them.

Every help is fully accepted ;)

Cya

Christian

by Gustav W Delius -
Edukalibre developers are suddenly popping up all over the forums. That is very exciting. I hope your project will be a great success. There appear to be groups all over Europe developing such useful things as Moodle Wikis, Moodle mathematics capabilities, Moodle groupwork facilities and now a student monitoring module. How can we learn more about all this?
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Christian Milani -

My idea is to create an Applet because it's easyer the interaction, easy to use (nothing to install), every Teachers/Instructors (technicals or not) will be able to use it, every brower now support Java Applets and so on...
With a "php" page (or every script language) u aren't free like a java app.
With applets you can use Java Power... Everyone can do/see what he want.

I read much on Information Visualisation, the power of this module will be the interaction that every user can have with the Visualisation.

The goal is to create a "generic" module (moodle will be the base one), the idea is that every eLearning platform will be supported with Standard Data. i.e. Students, Courses, Quiz, Discussions, Chat, Assignment, Groups...

The app. will be based on an internal DB, if u change eLearning platform u only have to change the module that export data from the platform DB to the app. DB.

I built the generic DB based on moodle and WebCt DB.

At the moment i'm implementing the module to export data from moodleDB to the app. DB.

For more informations contact me at christian.milani@lu.unisi.ch.

For more information u can see Riccardo Mazza Course Management System. http://telos.usilu.net/mazza/coursevis/index.html

And more information on Information Visualisation
http://www.infovis.net
http://iv.homeunix.org/

Have a nice day! 
Christian 

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Java is evil and eats children. Please resist the temptation and at least use Flash. smile

But this "Standard Data" idea is interesting ... which standard are you referring to? (or are you inventing a new one?)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Christian Milani -

Java isnt evil smile Java Roxor! smile

With Flash where would be the interaction with the user? My idea is that u can play with the applet, u can chose what to see and how to see it...

Java isnt slow! It's how u program that slow everything! You have to optimize your code, if u program in a clearly and easy way there will be no probl at all! You have to study the best and fast way to work!

The Standard Data for me are data that every platform Must have. (i.e. Students, Groups, Discussions, ...).
Im using Riccardo Mazza idea (http://telos.usilu.net/mazza/coursevis/index.html)...
There is noone that says what is a Standard Data... so im inventing what is "generic" . If anyone has another idea would be realy helpfull!

Thx

by Les Kopari -
I really like the Discussion Plot at:

http://telos.usilu.net/mazza/coursevis/index.html

It gives a great 3D visualization.

Thanks!

In reply to Les Kopari

by Christian Milani -
Hello smile

My work is to create a similar tool for moodle... do u like the idea?

What do u think about an applet? Do u think that java eat children too?

Any idea/help will be great ;)

Have a nice day

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Whereas Flash only eats developers. :> I don't get this 'evil' thing - the worst you could say of Java is that it's misguided. Flash, on the other hand... well, it does work quite reliably, but you know what they said about Mussolini and trains smile

Seriously, I agree Java applets can be slightly more difficult for users and can cause problems, but it's definitely possible to write applets that don't [there are many widely-deployed applets which rarely have issues] - and if you're requiring significant interactivity in a proper application sense then Java is likely to be a much better way to develop it. Specific to visualisation, the most famous recent example is Baby Name Voyager, which is very cool and has worked on every machine I've seen it tried on.

Yes, it could have been done in Flash; but it wasn't, and that's a good thing IMO smile I'd like to see more use of Java across the Web; it's a far more useful technology than Flash, and performance issues are receding into the far distance. There are reliability issues though, meaning that applet developers do have to be careful. (Not that Flash doesn't suffer from a few of these too - many Flash applets use the entire CPU on a Mac, for no known reason, making your normally-quiet computer start doing jet-engine sounds in behaviour commonly known as the 'Flash Alarm' - but in general it's solid.)

I sort of think that the situation concerned sounds like you could just do it in HTML perfectly well, but it may be that fancy visualisation is desired. Of course, I don't generally rate fancy visualisation any higher than I rate Flash applets, but. smile

--sam

PS Yes, I only posted here because somebody sent me a link to the Java/evil thing. smile

In reply to sam marshall

by Michael Penney -
I do deal a fair amount with end user support, and one of the big problems with java here is that end users have all manner of machines, with various versions of the java runtime loaded. Many of our end users are not the most skilled in loading new software, and downloading and installing the latest java runtime is often a challenge.

One of the big challenges I hear from folks who are implementing Vista is in getting (and keeping) the end users on the right version of java.

One thing Macromedia does reasonably well is make it pretty easy to get the flash plug-in installed, and the whole thing is only about 1MB. Of course mergers being what they are and Adobe Reader being the seemingly ever growing & increasingly unstable thing that it has become, how long the flash player will remain the easiest (on the end users) client side interactivity tool is a bit of a guess.

by PROFessor VAZZ - Brazil -
Hi,

Can I Help me ?
About MDL_LOG and MDL_CACHE_TEXT

Can I empty them ?
Will I have problems with my courses and students ?

Tks.

PROFessor VAZZ
professor-vazz@professor-vazz.com
Brazil
In reply to PROFessor VAZZ - Brazil

by Martin Dougiamas -
No problems emptying these two tables whenever you like.

Won't I important information about my students ?
What's the function of mdl_log ?
What's hte function of mdl_cache_text ?

Tks.
PROFessor VAZZ
Brazil

by Robert Brenstein -
> What's hte function of mdl_cache_text ?

See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=39796

If mdl_cache_text is giving you trouble, try the fix in Bug #4677
In reply to Robert Brenstein

Hello Roberto,

Tanks for your help.
Please, Could you to say me where I can find format_text(), or be,
Where 's the file .php that I need to fix ?

Thanks again.

PROFessor VAZZ
BRAZIL
In reply to Robert Brenstein

Hi,

I've had the message many times.
The config.php is ok.

Do you what I can do ?

Tks.
PROFessor VAZZ
Brazil

"Error: Database connection failed.

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php"

Re: Moodle Database Study - HELPPPPP

Hi Maritn,

PLEASE, I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP.
I emptied my mdl_cahe_text ande I'm having serious problems.
I lost all information about my students and my courses.

I am very sick, because I have about 1800 students and 40 courses.
Do you know how I can to do to fix the situacion ?

Is there any command with phpadmin to fix de table ? Because I can see de information:

This is importante
Space usage: 
Type Usage
Data 631,440 Bytes
Index 444,416 Bytes
Total 1,051 KB

But, the new situacion show

Row Statistics: 
Statements Value
Format dynamic
Collation latin1_general_ci
Rows 1,268
Row length ø 497
Row size  ø 848 Bytes
Next Autoindex 1,269
Creation Mar 26, 2006 at 01:37 AM
Last update Mar 26, 2006 at 06:15 AM
Last check Mar 26, 2006 at 01:37 AM

Tks a lot.
I don't have backup.

PROFessor VAZZ

by Martin Dougiamas -
You can try REPAIRing your tables in phpmyadmin, they are probably corrupted (nothing to do with emptying the cache table)

Thanks Martin,

I've repaired my tables and  mdl_log had a problem, but I have the same problem, yet.
About cache table, Is this table only grow ?

Tks again.

PROFessor VAZZ
Brazil - São Paulo

Hi,

I've had the message many times.

The config.php is ok.

Do you what I can do ?

Tks.
PROFessor VAZZ
Brazil

"Error: Database connection failed.

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php"

by Michael Penney -
Are you using a hosting provider?

If this message is intermittent, most likely your hosting provider has limits on your database which are set to low for the number of users you have.

by Milan Steskal -
Good job, thankssmile I hope I've just find the table which is used to manage documents for the courses. And I've been trying to find it for hours.
In reply to Milan Steskal

by Manuel NT -
 Any version  of  this  project to  moodle 1.9.2 ? 

by boubekeur zendagui -
Hello, i'm a new user of Moodle

I try to establish a lite version of the moodle database schema, i must understand each field, each table and each relation between tables. your work is very very good and interesting.

have you a new version of the document?

Thank you very much for this work