Administratiuon block hided in a theme

Administratiuon block hided in a theme

by Izzat Sabbagh Rodríguez -
Number of replies: 9
HI,

I have been selected for taking charge of a Moddle Site. The default theme in this 1.6 installation site always hides me the Administration Block of the left in the courses i create. If I change the theme of the course, the Administration Block appears..How can I fix this problem in the default them?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Izzat
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Izzat Sabbagh Rodríguez

Re: Administratiuon block hided in a theme

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you told us the name of your default theme, it would help us understand!
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for answering...its a customized one (I guess)..I have attached an screenshoot..Maybe that helps...

Regards,

Izzat
Attachment default_theme.png

Hi again Joseph,

In the screenshoot I have attached now you can see how in the block combo there is no Adminstration..and there is not on the course site.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Izzat
Attachment default_theme2.png

Hi again Joseph,

I have edited the information of the theme (in Administration->Themes) and this is what it tells me:

"Kubrick

Kubrick theme for Moodle. Based on an original idea and using images created by Michael Heilemann for his original implementation of the Kubrick theme for Wordpress (blogging software).

customising the header image

The blue header is designed to be easily customisable. To replace it with another image you can either:

• upload an image named personalheader.jpg to your Moodle's Site Files.
  • upload an image named personalheader.jpg to the root of the theme directory.
  • replace the kubrickheader.jpg in the theme directory with one of your own creation.
The first method will take precedence over the second if both are used at the same time. The third method requires extra effort to ensure that the image matches exactly with it's surroundings.

creating header images

There are several ways to create a custom header. They are listed here in order of complexity from most difficult to easiest:

• use photoshop to edit the .PSD file contained in this theme directory with Photoshop.
  • use Kubrickr to select a Creative Commons licenced image from Flickr and have it automatically converted to the right format for use with Kubrick. Note you must judge the aspect ratio well to get the best results.
  • download a precreated header image from the gallery at Digital Westex.
  • in a pinch you can upload any image of around 760 by 200 pixels in size. By default the center bottom portion of the image will be used with any extra area above and to either side of this being cut off.
For information on how to edit the .PSD file see this blog entry post about a randomly rotating image banner. The instructions are actually slightly over-complicated, read the first comment for a more straightforward solution. The site however is good for inspiration as it uses the random image technology to display a selection of striking images, refresh the page to see more.

no image mode

If you are in a low bandwidth environment, or simply prefer a minimalist look, you can remove most of the images in this theme by removing the "images" stylesheet entry in config.php. This is a taster for K2, the sequel to Kubrick currently being worked on by its creator, which will be entirely CSS driven."

Helps this in any way?

Regards,

Izzat

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes, Izzat, I can recognize the Kubrick theme. This theme is a fixed-width, 2-column theme, with hidden left-column. Unfortunately, when a new course is created in Moodle, some blocks are by default created in the left column (and others in the right column). Because the Kubrick theme hides the left column, you can't see those blocks and, if the Administration block is there, hidden, you can't even change the theme...

Fortunately, there is a solution, which I explained in this post.

Basically, the idea is to "un-hide" the left column when in teacher editing mode, so that you can move all the blocks from the left to the right column.

In fact, the creator of the Kubrick theme (and the K2) seems to have lost interest in developing his themes, which are not available in the Moodle Themes repository, which I think is a pity.

I hope this helps,

Joseph

by Patrick Malley -
You're too quick, Joseph! It appears I posted my reply around the same time you were posting yours.

by Patrick Malley -
Since Kubrick is a 2 column theme and Moodle is set up for 3 columns, there is a good chance that your admin menu is in the left column (that is being hidden using CSS hacks in the Kubrick theme).

To "retrieve" it, switch to another theme and move your admin menue from the left column to the right column. Then, when you switch back to your default theme, you will see the admin menu.

This is, nevertheless, a short term solution. I'm certain that others (like Joseph) can help hack your theme further to show the left column when you have editing turned on.