Not able to save grades/comments using mac and firefox

Not able to save grades/comments using mac and firefox

by Randy Metzger -
Number of replies: 4

A faculty member reported a problem of not able to save grades and comments for uploaded single assignments on a Mac OS X using firefox 1.5.0.7 . We are using Moodle 1.6.1+ (2006050511), mysql 5.0.18 and php 5.1.1. He is entering the comments and grades by clicking on the grade or update link in the status column of the submissions page. He is clicking on the save button but the grades and comments are not saved when you go back to the submissions page to view the list of submitted assignments. Also the comments that I have entered on my windows computer are showing up with html code on his Mac.

I am able to enter comments and grades successfully in firefox in IE on a windows computer. Any ideas why the grades/comments are not being saved on a Mac using fix.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Randy Metzger

Re: Not able to save grades/comments using mac and firefox

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am having the same problem with the Online Text feature within the Assignment module.  I am using it as a "Journal" (still not sure that it is really functioning as a Journal but...) and I type in comments to students and give them a grade but when I click "Save Changes" or "Save and show next" it does not save the comments or grade.  I got it to save the comments once but they are showing up with html code in the small comment window when viewing all submissions.  I normally use a Mac but am in a computer lab at the moment using Windows XP machines and IE.  After writing feedback to 15 students I realized that none of it had been saved sad

Jason

P.S. I'm using Moodle 1.6.3

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just to make sure, when I have seen this behavior it is usually because the user is editing in the popup window and then coming back to the original window where the quick grading is allowed and hitting save feedback; however, because the focus changed from the popup window the comments and grades were not saved back to the originating window so that the save all my feedback actually overwrites the comments with what was previously there (usually nothing). I have recommended to my users that when they are using the update/grade button to turn off quick grading to avoid any confusion. This has all been in a Windows environment. Good luck troubleshooting this.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Jason Hollowell -
Anthony,

Thanks, yeah actually I did that a couple of times after realizing that the normal way I do it (using the pop up window) wasn't working.  Of course, as you have explained, it didn't work but it wasn't actually the origin of my problem.  I'm really stuck because I have two classes full of students waiting for feedback on their journals but I can't seem to get it to work.  No idea why I was able to leave feedback and a score for one student and now can't for any more...?

Also, not sure if this is related but, several students who were writing their second journal lost what they had written when they clicked on the "Save Changes" button.  Their browser went to a window that said something about an error and then had a "continue" button but it seemed that they were in some kind of error loop because clicking on the "continue" button only brought them back to the same error window.  This error loop continued indefinitely so I had to have them close their browsers and then restart and relog in.  Seems like maybe these two issues are related but it could just be a coincidence??

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Jason Hollowell -
Ok, now this is strange.  I just tried editing the journal assignments (commenting and grading) back in my office on my Mac and was able to leave comments and give grades....??  The comments still show up in the view all window with html around them but I'm not having a problem leaving feedback now and....one comment and grade that I tried to leave earlier and didn't think I was successful at (from a Windows XP, IE) machine, was actually recorded even though it didn't show up as being recorded from the Windows machine??

NOt sure what is going on here?

Jason