Can't Import Glossary from 1.5 to 1.6

Can't Import Glossary from 1.5 to 1.6

by Todd Thornton -
Number of replies: 2

Has anyone else experienced a problem when they try to export a glossary from 1.5 to use in 1.6? Sometimes it won't import any entries at all and other times it gets hung up on entry 20 out of 500 terms.

Any suggestions? I've tried re-saving the files, using Firefox, using Explorer, etc.

Sincerely,

Todd Thornton
todd@kyrealestateclass.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Thornton

Re: Can't Import Glossary from 1.5 to 1.6

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Todd Thornton

Some possibilities

Have you tried deleting entry 20? Is it in anyway strange?

Can you put the glossary somewhere on the net so that we can try it?

Is there a difference in encoding between the two systems? 1.6 supports UTF-8 databases. If there is an encoding problem then you could try unzipping the backup, converting the ecoding of the XML inside and rezipping. 

How about creating a test 1.5 moodle with the glossary and upgrading that installation to moodle 1.6. The upgrade routine may do more checks than the backups. I know that the upgrade has in the past sometimes checked for known database issues.

If the worst came to the worst, there is probably a way of reformatting the database XML (again inside the backup zip) into a blackboard style glossary and importing it as a flat file, somewhere on the forums. But you would loose keywords and other information.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Can't Import Glossary from 1.5 to 1.6

by Todd Thornton -

Tim,

Thanks for all your advice. It was a conflict with the databases which my hosting provider fixed. One thing that James Barrett pointed out in another post is that a workaround is to use the new "import" feature within Moodle courses. I didn't see an import button on the homepage but he helped me out.

"If you log in as admin and point your browser to {your moodle url}/course/import.php?id=1 you will find you can use the new import feature on the homepage."

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Sincerely,

Todd Thornton