Urgent: Make comment or regrade NOT working for M/C or short answer ?s

Urgent: Make comment or regrade NOT working for M/C or short answer ?s

by Mary Parke -
Number of replies: 16
Hey all - I've give the scenario, what we tried and then I'm asking for help as this is a MAJOR concern/problem - especially as I'm training teachers and they NEED this feature and some of them did not WANT to convert to Moodle and I don't need to fuel that fire!

So:

The variables: A 17 question quiz with m/c, short answer, and essay questions was created by a teacher.  He set it up as Adaptive Mode (Y), Adaptive Penalty (Y), Highest Grade, 3 attempts, and a secure quiz window.  Only 15 of 17 questions are to be graded so score is 15/17. 

Our system:  Moodle 1.6.2.  Secure Server (SSL - https). [so checking secure quiz box on quiz update options may be a problem? - it wasn't necessary that we know]

Error:  When clicking on Make comment or regrade on an individual student item he can see his comment and the changed grade he enters when he clicks on the button in the individual entry, but it does not save to the student's "file" - it doesn't alter the grade and no comment appears (not even when logged in as the student by the sys admin). 

Our attempts to fix:  We turned off adaptive mode and penalty and regraded quiz.  Yes, it changed the grades BUT it still did not allow him to regrade questions or make comments on the M/C or short answer questions.

We tried changing highest to average with adaptive modes/penalty off also to no avail - it did not make the comments/regrade work.

Manually grading the essay questions did work, however.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Parke

Re: Urgent: Make comment or regrade NOT working for M/C or short answer ?s

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mary > When clicking on Make comment or regrade on an individual student item he can see his comment and the changed grade he enters when he clicks on the button in the individual entry...

Sorry, I can't understand this sentence: who is the he you are talking about here: the student or the teacher? How do we know?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't understand either. Can you reduce it to a minimal sequence of actions that demonstrates what is wrong. Then say what that sequence of actions is, what you expected to see, and what you actually saw instead. Thanks.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Parke -
Ok. The long and short of it is, the MAKE COMMENT OR REGRADE function does not work when an instructor clicks on this and attempts to manually enter a comment or regrade a question item.

The instructor will click on the link, a pop-up window will open that looks normal for entering a comment and manually changing the grade, but when submit is pressed, nothing is updated in the student's record - the score isn't changed AND the comment doesn't show in the student record. It doesn't appear in either the instructor's view of the gradebook or from the student's view (when the student is logged in).

Now, if the instructor attempts to click the link again, the comment he last typed in appeared in the field. So, what's the disconnect?
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Parke -
He is the instructor. Also, students don't grade their work and don't see these items.
In reply to Mary Parke

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi,

During the programming my Offline Quiz Module, I remarked a bug in comment.php. It seems to be an error concerning random questions because it saves the new grade and comment for the wrong question in the DB. I don't remember exactly what I found, but I try to explain it: here an example:

You have a random question with the ID 23 and the question used is ID 14, changing the grade saves it in mdl_question_states for the question with ID 14 and the grading system look at the grade in question 23 (Maybe it's exactly the contrary but the idea is the same). That's why it's not working.

For the moment, I don't have time to fix it. Maybe next week but not sure.

Regards Nico

PS: Did someone remark the same bug with normal questions? I didn't...
In reply to Nicolas Drosson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ah, this looks like the root of the problem. Is there a bug in the tracker for this? If, so could someone add this info. If not can someone create one please. Thanks.

(I know, I could do it myself, but I don't have the time until next Tuesday at the earliest.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by N Hansen -
Is this related in any way to MDL-6127?
In reply to N Hansen

by Tim Hunt -
Not sure. Better to file this issues in this bug as a separate report, and then link the two saying they might be related.
In reply to N Hansen

by Mary Parke -
Nope. It seems to be different. The essay questions work for grading. It is in the popup window for regrading/commenting on individual student questions that this error is occurring.

The error: The instructor is able to type a comment in the popup window and set the grade manually. He can then click submit and the window closes. However, when you look at the individual student's scores and final grade, nothing has changed - no comment is visible and the grade remains the same. This is in both instructor view (logged in) and when logged in as the student looking at the quiz results. No comments show and the grade has not changed.

I'm going to see if the error is reproduced outside of this one course. Maybe there is something wrong with his course setup only?! Especially for how he sets up quizzes?
In reply to Mary Parke

by Bill Click -
Has anyone determined for certain that his isn't a cashe problem?  Maybe the screen is not really being refreshed but just displaying the cashed memory.
In reply to Bill Click

by Mary Parke -
Hi Bill,

That is an excellent question. I would say it was a cache problem if it weren't that we'd tried it on two different computers at two different sessions and encountered the same error. I am checking to see if other instructors have similar problems.

But, again, I really appreciate this feedback. Something to remember for future different problems.

- Mary
In reply to Mary Parke

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
When I make changes, I get an error but the changes are saved. I will look into this more as I have time as I would like to have the advanced upload type working with Moodle 16STABLE. Peace. 

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Today I got an email from one of teacher with this issue (Moodle 1.6.0) , then I found this thread.

She added some extra points and comments to some random MC questions, and students grades didn't change.

Is there any work around?. 

by Paulo Matos -
Have you managed to isolate the problem?
Can you point to the file/area where the code is buggy?
There's a quick way to disable regrade function in order to avoid this problem?

Hope someone can help on this!

Regards,

Paulo Matos
In reply to Paulo Matos

by Paulo Matos -
Answering to myself:
> There's a quick way to disable regrade function in order to avoid this problem?

Yes. Edit mod/quiz/report/regrade/report.php and around line 30
add the lines beggining with a + (without it of course)

// Print heading
print_heading(get_string('regradingquiz', 'quiz', format_string($quiz->name)));
+notify("WARNING: This functionality is disabled due to misbehavior. It will be activated once it's fixed!");
+return(true);
+
echo '<center>';
print_string('regradedisplayexplanation', 'quiz');
echo '<center>';

(Note to devels: noticed that the second "<center>" should be "</center>")
In reply to Mary Parke

by Mary Parke -
By the way, thank you Nicholas and Joseph for taking a look at this.