Printing a Lesson

Printing a Lesson

by Gail Kennedy -
Number of replies: 12
Is there an easy way for students to print all the pages contained in a lesson?  
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gail Kennedy

Re: Printing a Lesson

by Dr S Bhatia -
ctrl+p tongueout
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Dr S Bhatia -
just kidding

mind telling us what is it you wanna print?
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Gail Kennedy -
I created multi-page lessons using the next/previous screen navigation.  I have twelve modules containing these multi-page lessons.   I received feedback from some participants that they would like to print out all 12 lessons to keep as a reference guide.  I know that I can copy and paste all of my content into another application, but I was wondering if there was an easy way for participants to print all lesson screens with one button.  
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
You are BAD smile  But it works!

Our trainers use PowerPoints.  We bring those into Lessons.   I have used Adobe Acrobat to create a resource students can reprint with the copyright but not "borrow" and later edit the PowerPoint as their own.   But this is not an option in Lesson.  

In reply to Chris Collman

by Gail Kennedy -
Thanks.  I guess I will have to rethink my use of "lessons".  I wasn't anticipating the large number of people that still want paper.
In reply to Gail Kennedy

by ben reynolds -
I want to bring this question back with a complication. We migrated courses from WebCT 4.1, which does, indeed, have a compile and print (& search!) function in its lessons.

Right now, we're using compiled lessons from WebCT as our printable version of lessons in Moodle. I.e., users can click through page by page lessons, or they can open the printable version and print.

The complication with this workaround is that, as we update the "live" lesson pages in Moodle, we have to keep the old WebCT pages current.

I think we should be able to pull the live pages out of the database. Thus, every time we update live pages, we would pull out an updated printable (& searchable!) version.

But, if I can conceive of this, I can't believe somebody hasn't already done it.

Has someone already done this? If not, does this concept make sense (in which case, I can pursue it with my boss)?
In reply to ben reynolds

by Greg Johnson -
The attachment print.css partly addresses the issue. It lets long sections print and suppresses some elements that are not useful when printed. It does print everything in a lesson if you are viewing the whole lesson via the author's Edit Expanded view.

This css approach does not print lesson questions and branch tables as I like. One would really want at least two print styles, one for proofreading showing correct answers and feedback, and a style for student consumption that suppresses correct answers and feedback.
In reply to Greg Johnson

by ben reynolds -
Here's a pointer to another discussion where Greg has updated print.css

In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -
This is to say that Greg's print.css also allows you to export questions from a lesson!

See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=106948#p474548

For example, I convinced our IT people to give me Acrobat 9.0, and, when I go to print a lesson, I have the option to print to PDF. Coutesy of Greg's .css script, all the questions are printed into the PDF.

Opening the PDF gives me the option to Export to a variety of forms.

I don't know which is most efficient yet (in terms of moving thru GIFT format to a quiz), but the options are Word, XML 1.0 and more.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Chris Collman -
Hey Ben,
Did you break anything yet trying import any of those formats into another Lesson or Quiz smile I just love backdoor solutions.

One of my tricks is to use word macros to covert a GIFT file into something our trainers can vet without having to translate the format in their head. It took me hours of creating one macro at a time but it saves paper and allows me add a standard two lines for data entry after every question (PPT page, source, observed and comment) in a word document. Not great but at least we now have a trail.

You might be able to do something similar with Word macros if you can get a reasonable and consistent output to a Word document via the PDF. Of course, I bet you could also try the old Ctrl A, Ctrl C and a special paste into a Word doc from the CSS print screen.

Tip: don't get my viral plague, it is lasting forever, kept my from work this last week and thusly I am plaguing forums with posts !

Best Chris

In reply to Greg Johnson

by Chris Collman -
Hi Greg,
I am with you on the Lesson printing based upon the context of the role. I am not the brightest lightbulb in the pack when it comes to CSS or code. I assume that basically CSS displays what is specified in a php file (which has the context, role and what have you logic built there) ?

Have the same wish for Quiz (no printing for students, but a vet format for teachers) without having the GIFT notation cluttering up the page.

There was a post over in the MoodleDocs forum asking "how to export a course in a PDF file", which brought me to this thread. In short, highly interactive/adaptive lessons probably will not be printed, but I suspect there are lots of Lessons which would lend themselves to printing to a PDF.

Thanks for the print.css, you may have sent me down into another bottomless pit, and we still don't have 1.9 smile

Best Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Joski Sindhu Manuelraj -

Can anyone kindly explain where exactly to copy the print.css and the steps to be done further.

I copied it in /../theme/ folder and altered the line in config.php

$THEME->sheets = array('styles_layout', 'styles_fonts', 'styles_color', 'printstyles');

But I cant find the printing option anywhere.

Thanks & Regards,

Joski Sindhu Manuelraj