Can 2 or more classes join 1 chatting room?

Can 2 or more classes join 1 chatting room?

by Omar Dhaher -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I have a weekly online office hour for my students. I am currently teaching 2 courses. I wonder if I can join them in one chatting room instead of opening 2 rooms and keep switching between them. Can this be done?

Regards,

Omar.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Omar Dhaher

Re: Can 2 or more classes join 1 chatting room?

by Thomas Robb -
As far as I know, the only way that this can be done is to set up a meta course with both of your courses as children. 

You can place a chat link on each of the individual course pages which would take them directly to the chat so they might not even know that they have gone to another course.  Once you have established the chat instance in the meta course, right-click and copy the URL.  Then in each of the other courses, set up resource ("link to a file or website") that has that URL and click "open in a new window". 

Once that is done, if the student clicks on the "Chat" resource in his/her own course, a new window will pop up with the chat in the meta-course, ready to use.

(To set up a meta course, just create a new course in the same way, but check the "This is a meta course" box at the bottom of the set-up screen. Then from the main page of the course, click on admin/students and instead of selecting students to join the course, you will see a list of your courses.  Just select both of your existing courses and you are done.  All students in both of your courses will now be registered participants in the meta-course.)
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Omar Dhaher -
Thank you. I'll try it . I've been thinking whether the way users are created would affect this too. Right now, all users are created as students by defaults, and then they are promoted to teachers on their assigned courses. What if Moodle has two types of users to start with, students, and teachers, where teachers would have additional features, like a page where they can create thier content that is global, and can be accessed by thier studets, regardles of the course they are signed in.

Regards,

Omar.
In reply to Omar Dhaher

by Thomas Robb -
Each teacher can have a meta-course and the courses that that teacher is assigned to would be member set as the "child courses" for that meta course.  Then all of that teacher's students would have access to the page.  Would this answer your question?