Chameleon: Stiil cannot get theme changes to stick.

Chameleon: Stiil cannot get theme changes to stick.

by Colin Lawson -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,  I would really like to be able to use Chameleon to redesign my moodle site but cannot get my changes to stick.  I have tried changing the permissions for the temp_user_styles.css and  user_styles.css files to 766 and even 777.  I have tried all combinations I can think of eg changing the theme folder permissions etc but no luck.  I have searched all the forums without a solution unless my problem is connected to the php.ini file (which I cannot find).  I am using a commercial server to host my moodle site.  Do I need to study one of the many tutorials on php and php.ini files or is that a blind alley.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Colin Lawson.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Lawson

Re: Chameleon: Stiil cannot get theme changes to stick.

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Colin,

it's sad that none of the permissions work for you. I do not have any idea why.

You may consider giving me the url of your site and a short time teacher account to check your theme. I could then see if I discover something.

This short check may help or may not. Much time for extensive investigations I can't spend.

Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by mark furrer -
Hi

I do have the same problem. I changed the permissions of the files to 777. But Chameleon does not save the changes. I searched the forums but found no answer but changing the permission. Even in the documentation there is only:

Your changes are lost on page reload

The user settings or write permissions of the two CSS files "user_styles.css" and "temp_user_styles.css" must be set in a way that Moodle can write the changed CSS to these files.

1. When you are able to change the owner of these files please do that. Your web server will run under a specific user like "nobody" or "www-data". Please change the owner of these CSS files to the owner your web server runs with.
  2. When you can't change the file owner please change the write permissions of these files. The easy way is to give write permissions to "group" and "others".

What else can I do than set the permissions of the two files to 777.

Greets Mark

In reply to Colin Lawson

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Colin,

if you solved your writing issue, please tell us what the reason was and how you solved it. You may help others with your feedback.

Thank you very much. Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by mark furrer -
Hi

Shure I will do that, but till now I do not have a clue!

Could it be because of the server settings of my hosting provider. See listed server setting in the Attachement...

Please help...
Mark
In reply to mark furrer

by mark furrer -
Here my PHP settings on the server: Configuration PHP Core Directive Local Value Master Value allow_call_time_pass_reference Off Off allow_url_fopen On Off always_populate_raw_post_data Off Off arg_separator.input & & arg_separator.output & & asp_tags Off Off auto_append_file no value no value auto_globals_jit On On auto_prepend_file no value no value browscap no value no value default_charset no value no value default_mimetype text/html text/html define_syslog_variables Off Off disable_classes no value no value disable_functions shell_exec, virtual, proc_close, proc_get_status, proc_open, proc_terminate shell_exec, virtual, proc_close, proc_get_status, proc_open, proc_terminate display_errors On On display_startup_errors Off Off doc_root no value no value docref_ext no value no value docref_root no value no value enable_dl On On error_append_string no value no value error_log no value no value error_prepend_string no value no value error_reporting no value 2039 expose_php On On extension_dir /usr/lib/php5 /usr/lib/php5 file_uploads On On highlight.bg #FFFFFF #FFFFFF highlight.comment #FF8000 #FF8000 highlight.default #0000BB #0000BB highlight.html #000000 #000000 highlight.keyword #007700 #007700 highlight.string #DD0000 #DD0000 html_errors On On ignore_repeated_errors Off Off ignore_repeated_source Off Off ignore_user_abort Off Off implicit_flush Off Off include_path .: .: log_errors Off Off log_errors_max_len 1024 1024 magic_quotes_gpc On On magic_quotes_runtime Off Off magic_quotes_sybase Off Off mail.force_extra_parameters no value no value max_execution_time 30 30 max_input_time 60 60 memory_limit 64M 32M open_basedir /home/httpd/vhosts/fahrlehrer24.ch/httpdocs:/home/httpd/vhosts/fahrlehrer24.ch/private:/usr/share/pear:/tmp:/usr/bin no value output_buffering no value no value output_handler no value no value post_max_size 8M 8M precision 14 14 realpath_cache_size 16K 16K realpath_cache_ttl 120 120 register_argc_argv On On register_globals Off Off register_long_arrays On On report_memleaks On On report_zend_debug On On safe_mode Off On safe_mode_exec_dir no value no value safe_mode_gid Off Off safe_mode_include_dir no value no value sendmail_from no value no value sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i serialize_precision 100 100 short_open_tag On On SMTP localhost localhost smtp_port 25 25 sql.safe_mode Off Off track_errors Off Off unserialize_callback_func no value no value upload_max_filesize 25M 25M upload_tmp_dir no value no value user_dir no value no value variables_order EGPCS EGPCS xmlrpc_error_number 0 0 xmlrpc_errors Off Off y2k_compliance On On zend.ze1_compatibility_mode Off Off Greets Mark
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Colin Lawson -

Sorry Urs, I never solved the underlying problem - I tried everything you and others suggested including  giving write permissions of 777 to the two CSS files "user_styles.css" and "temp_user_styles.css" (and to everything else I could think of).    In the end I assumed that it was a problem with the way the commercial hosting sevice had set permissions or ownership?  Anyway I gave up when I found the following work around.   I used Chameleon to make my theme adjustments and used the pop up windows in Chameleon to identify the lines of CSS that were required. I then pasted these 'by hand', line by line, into "user_styles.css".   This worked fine and I found Chameleon very useful - brilliant in fact even though I could not use it as intended.    Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Colin