Using online/inline text Assignment as a journal

Using online/inline text Assignment as a journal

by Roger Emery -
Number of replies: 6

I'm trying to use online text assignment and what I'm hopeing to achive is for the tutor to be able to comment in-line.
This it seems they can do only once.
If a student them makes further journal entries (assignment submissions) the tutor can only add comments that append at the end and not within the body of the text.

It also seems the editable region only displays the students first entry, not subsequent entries or additions to the journal in this editable field.

I'm a little confused! I was hoping this Assignment module (as a replacement for the journal module) would allow in-line commenting like it says on the tin so students can keep reflective journals on-line and the tutor can add comments as they go along. Or can they and there is a setting I've not found?

Roger

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Emery

Re: Using online/inline text Assignment as a journal

by A. T. Wyatt -
According to my tests, it only allows you one set of inline comments.  A journal situation implies, to me, a set of comments each time the student posts.  The in-line assignment doesn't seem to support that!
Attachment assignments_inline.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Roger Emery -
That's exactly it - Thanks for the screen captures and better description.

The workround I've advised to the tutor is to cut and paste 3rd 4th etc students comments from the bottom into the edit box at the top then type in feedback. This is adequate for now, but clunky.

I think a further stage to this would be to be able to set a tutor font/style/colour so their comments are obvious and consistant in appearance.

In reply to Roger Emery

by Roger Emery -

Hello,

I've removed journal from our 1.9.x for this academic year (preparing for the retirement of it in 2.0) and moved everyone to online text assessment.

However the above issue is still unresolved and now causing problems for our tutors so may have to go back to Journal.

Bug has been here for four years.
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6867

Is it to be fixed in 2.0 if users are to be forced down this route?

I've been unable to sort it myself out here.
Roger

In reply to Roger Emery

by Itamar Tzadok -

You may want to consider the database activity for such purpose. You can have a simple entry form with a textarea for the student's submission. Further exchange between the instructor and the student can be done by means of replies to the student's entry. If you set the database to require approval and don't approve any entry, each student can see only his/her own enteries (and associated replies). smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Paul Webster -

Thanks-

I've seen this idea floated around in some of the journal forums.  Is there a good how-to on setting this database piece up to function like a journal?  So far, the database has been a bit confusing to me.

Some have referenced setting up templates for this.

In reply to Paul Webster

by Kenneth Leong -

Hi Paul,

I will read up (eh You-Tube up) on the Database module over the teaching vaction period.

Thx

KennyL