Video clips in the Glossary

Video clips in the Glossary

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 19
We are trying to put video clips into a glossary. Currently they are in .wmv format but I'll make them into anything provided they work.
If we put them on as an attachment they work fine but don't look very attractive on screen and you can only have one attachment per entry.
What I would really like to happen is that the clip appears to be embedded in the page rather than a link.
If I upload via the site files the clip gets corrupted and won't play anywhere.
If I create a folder in Moodle and put the files into it and then use the embed tag e.g. <embed src="http://moodle0/default/moodle/gloss_images/Blonde.wmv" /> then on the edit page of the glossary I get exactly what I am after. The movie clip is embedded on the page and plays just fine.
If I then click save changes and view the glossary the video clip seems to have disappeared entirely.
I've seen a clip in a forum message (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=55406#253464) that is what I am trying to do.
If it didn't work at all I'd be happier, it is just that it works on the edit page but not after it has been saved.
Any ideas about how to achieve this greatfully accepted.
Thanks
Heather
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: Video clips in the Glossary

by Timothy Takemoto -
Moodle is flash friendly. If you put links to swf files then they rather than just a link the video will appear. I hear that .flv which streams rather than downloads (am I right everyone?) will also work, and it is the format prefered by youtube.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=50375
There is some wonderful free software called erightsoft super which will convert to flash for you.
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Art Lader -
Hmmm... I am wrestling with something this right now in an 1.6.4+ installation, actually. When I link to a mov file or an mp3 file, a Flash player appears as expected. Cool.

But if I link to any other multimedia file (*.sfw or *.flv, for example,) all I get is the link. No player to be found. This is true in Firefox, Explorer and Opera.

When I link to the same files in this forum, the player launches as expected.

The filters configuration looks fine to me. Still experimenting. I have probably just screwed up some little thing, but I have been playing with this for a couple of weeks now.

Any ideas?

I will let you know if I figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
Art

In reply to Heather P

by Timothy Takemoto -
I had a look at the post you reference, and realised that Moodle's multi media filtering now filters wmv as well. So if you just add a link to the file, (not an embed) then the multimedia filter should convert that into an appropriate object tag.

See Admin>Filters>Multimedia for a long list of file types that can be auto-embedded in this way. (And I thought it was only flash and mp3! Moodle can play almost anything automatically these days).

If you want fine control over the way that the media is embedded, then you can turn off the editor and insert what you like it seems. I just found (thanks) that turning off the editor allows you to insert just about anything.

Here is a sample video that comes with ULEAD photoimpact, my image editor. All I did was upload it and the player was automatically embedded.

Tim

by Heather P -
That is brilliant, works fine now.
I think I must have got it so wrapped round my neck I couldn't see the wood for the trees!
Thanks

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim > Here is a sample video that comes with ULEAD photoimpact, my image editor. All I did was upload it and the player was automatically embedded.

This video plays in MSIE only, it does not work in FireFox.sad

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Timothy Takemoto -
Joseph > it does not work in FireFox.sad
Oops. File a bug?
Tim

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is not a (Moodle) bug. It is a general rule that video and audio files using the windows media player (*.wmf) will be correctly embedded in MSIE but not in FireFox.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Matthew Spagnol -

and do they generally stuck while trying to embed in Firefox. I tried to embed a you tube video using the embed code but:

- no video is shown

- no 'pen&hand' and other icones for the Video Label are shown

- and the whole course is stuck at that week

Has anyone ever encountered such a problem?

Thanks,

Matthew

In reply to Matthew Spagnol

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Matthew,

You've posted your question in a very old thread. Since this discussion began, most browsers have adopted the new HTML5 standard and there are now more options for embedding video. The Moodle media filters have changed to accommodate this since then too.

Can you tell us how you're embedding video, i.e. Which method, e.g. Moodle filter, Atto plugin, or copy and paste youtube.com's automatically generated embed code, or something else?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Matthew Spagnol -

Hi Matt,

I tried to embed the video by Inserting a label. In HTML I added an HTML code with the video's url.

Thanks,

Matthew

In reply to Matthew Spagnol

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Here's one way to do it:

1. Go to the desired video playback page on youtube.com, e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=RhsgfSOizfQ
  2. Click on the "Share" link under the video player window.
  3. Click on the "Embed" tab and some highlighted embed code should appear.
  4. Press Ctrl + c (to copy the code).
  5. In the Moodle (Atto) text editor, click on the top left icon "Show more buttons."
  6. Click on the bottom right button "<>" to show HTML source code.
  7. Put the cursor where you want the video to be embedded.
  8. Press Ctrl + v (to paste the embed code).
  9. Click on the bottom right button "<>" again to show the rendered page.
  10. You should see the embedded video immediately.
  11. Save the page/label/forum post/glossary entry/etc.

I hope this helps! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Matthew Spagnol -

Thank for the help with embedding a video. However, at the moment I can't work on my moodle as no more weeks are shown and no editing buttons are shown after I had already previously tried to embed video.

by daniel ginerman -
shalom 2U,
and has anybody found a solution for this issue, anything that makes the video automatically viewed in both firefox and msie?
i'd very like to have my much video stuff automatically viewed in my courses without having to make so much manual embedding as i'm doing now (for instance, my heavier current example is at www.kolisrael.tv )
thanx in advance,

daniEl
In reply to daniel ginerman

by Just H -
Hi

Think it may have been resolved already . . . just clicked the example in this thread and it played fine (Firefox 2) smile
In reply to Heather P

by Nichole Bryant -
Has anyone tried putting YouTube videos in the glossary?

I was able to get it to work on a label on the main page, but not in the glossary.

I was eventually going to use a large assortment of videos in the Random Glossary Entry Block.

Thanks!
In reply to Nichole Bryant

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Do you mean embedding the code into the Definitions section? Or did you mean attaching /embedding a downloaded youtube video? I just tried embedding the code as first mentioned and it worked fine - how did you get to work on a label? Do you have multimedia filters enabled in your Moodle and did you switch to code view in the HTML editor?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nichole Bryant -
"Do you mean embedding the code into the Definitions section?"
Yes smile

I did switch to HTML editor and pasted the code given from YouTube's website.

It works perfectly for label. But I can't get the glossary entries to load.

All of my Multimedia Filters are enabled.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help.
In reply to Nichole Bryant

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Nichole,

Logged in as Admin, go to Administration ► Security ► Site policies and check the Allow EMBED and OBJECT tags box, to be allowed to embed objects such as YouTube videos in the Glossary (and other parts of Moode using the HTML editor).

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)