Problems with backup... Courses too large?

Problems with backup... Courses too large?

by Mike Carollo -
Number of replies: 11

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />My automatic backup did not work?  Is it possible that the courses are too large?  One of the courses might have over 100MB of info to backup.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Attachment backup.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Carollo

Re: Problems with backup... Courses too large?

by A. T. Wyatt -
I am also having a rather odd problem with the backups.  I don't get the error message yours shows here, mine all say "skipped".  However, when you go look at the individual course log, everything is fine all the way down to the final step and then it says:

04:04 AM:23        copying user files
04:04 AM:23        copying course files
04:04 AM:23        zipping files
04:04 AM:24        copying backup
04:04 AM:24End backup course Installation - ERROR!!

On some others, there is no error.  I am thinking that those particular courses may be skipped because they have not been updated in over 30 days.

I have set up a test!  I did note that all my courses that were skipped were also hidden.  I can't tell you if all hidden courses get skipped, but I can say that all those that were skipped for me were also hidden.  I unhid one that was also in a hidden category; I unhid one that was in a visible category; and I hid one that used to be visible.  When the backups run tonight, I will try to see if there were any changes.  It appears to me that the AND part of "we skip if the course is hidden AND has not changed in 31 days" is not working on our 1.6.2 instance.

Did you look in the individual course log? (click on the course name, on the page you have captured here).  I am not sure where to go next.  I especially do not know what the last line with the error is  telling me except that maybe it is failing when it realizes the course is hidden.  That message is not making any sense to my limited brain!

Any advice appreciated!
PS--we set the timeout to 5 minutes.  In our case, some of the courses that backup successfully are quite large (mine! 197 MB) and some that failed are TINY.  This doesn't seem to be a timeout problem

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by A. T. Wyatt -
Replying to myself!  If a course is hidden, it is not backed up.  I think this is a problem, since many people like to have a course and work on it for a while before they make it visible and put in an enrollment key.

In each case, the course that I hid or unhid is now following the pattern:  hidden courses not backed up.  The category can be hidden, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi atw,

Please note that the backup only skips courses which are unavailable to students AND have not been changed in the last month.
In reply to Helen Foster

by A. T. Wyatt -
I recognize that it is supposed to behave that way, but I can now verify that on one of my instances of Moodle that I run (LAMP), all courses that are hidden are being skipped.  I unhid one, and it is no longer being skipped.  And one that I made changes to and left hidden was still skipped.  So I am wondering if a bug crept in there somewhere. . .

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi atw,

Thanks for checking things out. It would be helpful if you could add a report to the tracker.
In reply to Helen Foster

by A. T. Wyatt -
I will do so.  I want to switch all of them BACK to the original status and see what happens, then I will be ready!

atw
In reply to Mike Carollo

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Mike

Did you ever solve your scheduled backup problems? as I, and others, seem to have similar problems sad

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=55262
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=54806
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=53388

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by M Gardner -
I'm bumping this as the issue still exists.

In reply to M Gardner

by Maureen O'Halloran -

I just upgraded from 1.5.? to 1.7 and now courses are being skipped.  They are hidden courses but some of them have changed since they are being developed. 

Previously all courses were backed up no matter what - I don't have a large number of courses or very large courses so that was okay - I at least need hidden courses that have changed content to be backed up.

Strangely one hidden course which has no changed was backed up.  It was recently created and the instructor hasn't logged on yet, yet its been backed up each time.

In reply to M Gardner

by Maureen O'Halloran -

I just upgraded from 1.5.? to 1.7 and now courses are being skipped.  They are hidden courses but some of them have changed since they are being developed. 

Previously all courses were backed up no matter what - I don't have a large number of courses or very large courses so that was okay - I at least need hidden courses that have changed content to be backed up.

Strangely one hidden course which has no changed was backed up.  It was recently created and the instructor hasn't logged on yet, yet its been backed up each time.