Parents' Course

Parents' Course

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 10
Hi, Fellow Moodlers,

We have been playing around with a "Parents' Portal," trying to design an easy introduction to Moodle for our students' parents. In the course of our tinkering, we have made a few screenshots that someone might find useful. If you think you might be interested, log in as a guest and grab anything you might be able to use. Just go to http://ahshornets.moodle.com/course/view.php?id=95 .

Please note that these are NOT professional-quality graphics. Here's a sample:

Attachment parent_portal_overview_4.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Parents' Course

by Art Lader -
By the way, I think that I went about this the wrong way. I SHOULD have had my students create a glossary explaining Moodle to their parents.

Regards,
Art Lader
In reply to Art Lader

by Williams Castillo -
I think it's a great effort... That way you involve them in their child's education (at least you try to) and, perhaps, they will gain a bit on awareness of the kind of things that could eventually happen... accidentally... Very good for you!

And regarding your last comment... I think you are still on time... Create a new section: Moodle from your child's perspective could be a good name (if is it gramatically correct of course smile).

Greetings,
Will
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Art Lader -
Thanks, that might be a good way to go. smile
In reply to Art Lader

by Ger Tielemans -

Moodle, how to tell it my parents..

By the way how do you create that shadow?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Art Lader -
Hi, Ger,

I captured that screen shot with SnagIt and it's one of the editing options. It's a super program from www.techsmith.com.

I highly recommend it!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Drew Buddie -
This is a tremendous resource that truly inspires me.  I have only just innaugurated my Moddle site www.merapolis.com - but I have great plans for it.  What you are doing is sure to make me fulfill my ambition to set up a fully functioning VLE that colleagues, students and parents can use as a resource.  Thanks for sharing your ideas.  I also like the use of SnagIt - does it work on a Network?
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Jeff Wood -

Drew,

Welcome to Moodle.

Things are off to a good start!

If you need some help... just let me know.

I'm not an expert... but more than willing to help.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Drew Buddie -

Jeff,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.  In the short time I have been associated with all things Moodle, I have been struck by the benevolenece and cameraderie amongst Moodlers.  This is all too rare in today's society and it is uplifting to know that 'we' (I'm proud I can now refer to myself as one, albeit a newbie) Moodlers are willing to help others.

The use of Moodle is, I can sense, about to be an exciting journey for me as I have a lot of great ideas I want to impement with my site and I hope to use this school term/semester to establish a resource ehtat will be a credit to my school.

Thanks again,

Drew

PS Your offer of help is dangerous wink as Iam BOUND to take you up on it sometime...

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Jeff Wood -

Drew,

You're correct... those here at moodle.org are a wonder bunch.  I have never found a group of people who are so dedicated and willing to help each other. I have never gone more than 12 hrs after posting a question that I didnt receive many replies (wish I could say the same about my old hosting service dead).

Re your PS Now Im worried mixed

Jeff

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Art Lader -
Hi, Drew,

Thanks. smile

As far as I know, SnagIt does not work on a network. Please feel free to take anything that you want from the parents' course. I am going to redo it this summer with little check-up quizzes along the way.

Best regards,
Art Lader