Forum data is in db but forums don't show up

Forum data is in db but forums don't show up

by John Ryan -
Number of replies: 6

After a messed up session of backup/restore & moodle version upgrade (161 to 162+), my forum discussions no longer show up, while the data is still there in the MySQL database. I can confirm that they are not lost because when I "search" for a certain term I remember being used in past discussions, whatever relevant posts are retrieved and shown intact.

I may have to present more concrete data, but for a start, would anyone be able to suggest where in the admin panel, scripts, MySql, etc. to check?

Thanks in advance,

JR

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Ryan

Re: Forum data is in db but forums don't show up

by John Ryan -
I got it. I reuploaded students subscription data and in that process their usrids have been renumbered. I think I have to manually restore their ids one by one, checking their add post logs...
In reply to John Ryan

by Mark Penny -

Congratulations.

It's just odd that you should have had that problem at all.

I was going to suggest checking instances. I'm glad you won't have to.

In reply to Mark Penny

by John Ryan -
Thanks! I'm still doing it but will finish in an hour.

It's a long story. It started when I inadvertently dropped the database--I asked my server owner to restore the whole site using a backup but they couldn't somehow restore the moodle database completely until we realised that the moodle database had gotten incredibly large (5GB)--now I know the cause of it: stats_daily problem of moodle 161--so I had to manually create the unloaded tables (including mdl_user) and upload the user data, also manually.

I just hope there is no-one still using 161 that has the stats option turned on. It will kill you. clown
In reply to John Ryan

by David Keenan -

Hi John,

I am having the same problem but I am still running 1.5.3+, could you give me any pointers on how to fix this issue.

I see you have posted a reply about stats_daily in 161 but i cant find this, any information would help. 

Thanks

David Keenan
Kilmarnock College  

In reply to David Keenan

by David Keenan -

I have fixed this problem, well, when I say I fixed the problem, I really mean that I upgraded to 1.6.2 and everything seems to be working now all the forum posts have reappeared.

Wish everything was as easy.

Well, now I have got to backup, backup, backup.

Regards

David Keenan
Kilmarnock College

In reply to David Keenan

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback - it's good to know how you fixed the problem. Upgrading Moodle is very often the best thing to do.