Attempts not working for crosswords

Attempts not working for crosswords

by Fig Newton -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I have set the attempts on my hotpot crossword activity to 4, but students seem to be allowed an unlimited number of attempts. I am attempting this with a half answered puzzle, is it possible that all questions must be answered before an attempt is considered complete?

Also, pressing the check button does not return the user to the main course page, which is the setting for the activity.

I am using moodle 1.6.2.

Thanks,
Fig
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fig Newton

Re: Attempts not working for crosswords

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Fig,
from what I understand, you have set maximum number of attempts to a HotPot crossword to 4, but then students were able to attempt the crossword more than 4 times. OK, let me go and try ...
So that all looks OK to me. If something different happened to you, please could you upload your quiz to my server above (login as username="guestteacher", pw="hotpotv21") or send me details of how to access your site.

> is it possible that all questions must be answered before an attempt is considered complete?

Yes, and furthermore all questions must be answered correctly for the HotPot quiz to be considered complete.

> pressing the check button does not return the user to the main course page

Do you mean the "Check" button on the HotPot quiz? You will only be returned to the main course page once the quiz is completed, i.e. all the questions have been answered correctly.

> which is the setting for the activity

On the "Adding/Updating a Hot Potatoes quiz" page, there is a drop down menu just below the [Save Changes] button, which has an option "Display Course page next". Is that what you are talking about? That means the course page will be displayed afater you hit the [Save Changes] button. It has nothing to do with which page will be displayed after a student completes an attempt at the quiz.

After a student completes a HotPot quiz they will be usually be taken back to the Moodle course page, unless the teacher has set the "Show next quiz" setting to "Yes", in which case the student will be shown the next HotPot quiz in this section of the course, if there is one.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Fig Newton -
Hi Gordon,

I uploaded my hotpot crossword and I see the same behavior on your server. So, as I understand the behavior...

- an attempt is only considered "complete" when a student answers all the questions. My attemtps are all listed as "abandoned" .

- hotpot does not count incomplete attempts as a true attempt, since I can submit more than 4 partial attempts

If hotpot considers an attempt to be only made of correct answers, what is the point of multiple attempts? If the first complete attempt is by definition correct, why would a student continue with the quiz?

Is there anyway to force the quiz to count each press of the "check" button an attempt? Basically to simply mark missing words as incorrect?

Thanks,
Fig
In reply to Fig Newton

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Fig,

in your initial post you said, "but students seem to be allowed an unlimited number of attempts" and in my response I said, "I logged in as a student and attempted the quiz", so I thought we were talking about students taking the quiz.

However, you took the quiz on my server as a teacher and that's different. A teacher can always take the quiz, whatever the restrictions for number of attempts, password etc. The point of that is so the teacher nevers gets locked out of their own quiz. 

Please try logging into my server as a student, u=gueststudent, pw=hotpotv21, and you will find that you can only attempt the quiz 4 times, regardless of whether any individual attempt is "abandoned" or "completed"

> Is there anyway to force the quiz to count each press of the "check" button an attempt?

The number of time the Check button is pressed for each answer is recorded. You can view it on the HotPot reports. If you need help finding those please let me know.

Gordon 

In reply to Gordon Bateson

crosswords

by Mazniha Berahim -
How to create  interactive multiple-choice or short-answer or jumbled-sentence or crossword or matching/ordering and gap-fill exercises using Hot potatoes in moodle?
In reply to Mazniha Berahim

Re: crosswords

by Gordon Bateson -
Mazniha, please read the README.TXT file in the "mod/hotpot" folder.

It contains detailed instructions on how to create Hot Potatoes activities using the Hot Potatoes software, and then add those activities to your Moodle course.