Page Display is messed up

Page Display is messed up

by Garry Musselman -
Number of replies: 7

Hello All,

I am a newbie moodler so I will do my best.  I installed the latest build of moodle and it runs flawlessly on the machine I installed it on.  WIN XP, SP2,  APACHE2, MYSQL.  I even tested my .php, and it was working properly.  However, here is what the page looks like whenever I view it on any machine other then the one it was installed on.

As you can see, info does not seem to be being passed properly.  Any help would be appreciated for this newbie.

Garry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Garry Musselman

Re: Page Display is messed up

by Matt Molloy -

Hello Garry,

Check your config.php file in the moodle folder. Yours is more than likely showing:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://localhost/moodle';

That is why the page displays correctly on the machine you installed it on. To display it correctly from another machine, you need to change it to:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://ip_address_of_your_machine/moodle';

If you are testing on a LAN, you could use the network name of your machine, and if you are on a web server, you could use your domain name.

Regards,

Matt

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Russ Maurer -
Matt, this sounds related to a problem I am having.  When I insert a picture (with a URL on the internet) into a wiki page, it displays perfectly as long as I am in the HTML editor.  But when I save the page, all that displays is the image title.  What's really puzzling me is that this happens ONLY with wikis; the very same pictures display properly in forums, topic descriptions, and every other place I have tried.

I use commercial hosting so there is not much I can do myself as far as the behind-the-scenes of the moodle installation, but if you can suggest something I can pass it along.  My hosting company thinks it is a problem with the wiki module, but I'm not convinced.  I am using 1.6.

Thanks for any help.

Russ
In reply to Russ Maurer

by Matt Molloy -

Hello Russ,

Had a bit of a search around in the wiki forum, and it seems like a lot of people have had similar experiences. Check out this thread for possible work-arounds and on how some people solved it by upgrading.

Regards,
Matt

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Garry Musselman -

Matt,

Thank You for your response.  I tried changing that setting but it still did not work on a remote machine.  I put it back to what it was, and now my screen is not even displaying on the local machine correctly.  It is the same now local, and remote.  I verified once again that .php was working properly by writing a simple script that displays the time, and it does refresh ok.

I will continue to search for answers.

Thanks,

Garry

In reply to Garry Musselman

by Matt Molloy -

Hello Garry,

Can you copy and paste your config.php file please, taking care to disguise any database username and passwords.

What were your original settings, and what did you change them to?

Regards,

Matt

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Garry Musselman -

Matt,

Here is my config.php as it currently stands:

<?php  /// Moodle Configuration File

unset($CFG);

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysql';
$CFG->dbhost    = 'localhost';
$CFG->dbname    = 'moodle';
$CFG->dbuser    = 'root';
$CFG->dbpass    = '';
$CFG->dbpersist =  false;
$CFG->prefix    = 'mdl_';

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://localhost/moodle';
$CFG->dirroot   = 'C:\Moodle\moodle\moodle';
$CFG->dataroot  = 'C:\Moodle\moodle/moodledata';
$CFG->admin     = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 00777;  // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode

$CFG->unicodedb = true;  // Database is utf8

require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");
// MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, BLANK LINES,
// RETURNS, OR ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THE TWO CHARACTERS ON THE NEXT LINE.
?>

I can tell you that I only changed the wwwcfg line.  All others are out of the box.

Thx,

Garry

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Garry Musselman -

Matt,

Thanks for your help. I have figured out the problem.

In the line:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://localhost/moodle';

I had to remove the /moodle

Inserted the ip of the machine, and B-I-N-G-O

Thanks,

Garry