Moodle features Demo course

Moodle features Demo course

by Henry Johnson -
Number of replies: 9
Hi,

Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I went to demo.moodle.com and found

http://demo.moodle.com/file.php/4/backup-moodle-features.zip

Exactly what I need to help me get other teachers using moodle at our school.

Trouble is, it ain't there. I've noticed some other moodle sites have the Features course installed, but a guest cannot download. I'm giving a PD on moodle next week and I'd really appreciate access to this course so I can install it locally.

Thanks
Henry Johnson
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henry Johnson

Re: Moodle features Demo course

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Henry,

Despite what it says on demo.moodle.com, the Moodle Features Demo course zip is actually only available for download from the Moodle Features Demo course here on moodle.org. Unfortunately there is currently a problem with the course zip file. I'll do my best to fix it as soon as possible (within 24 hours).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Henry Johnson -
Thanks Helen!

Funny you should mention a problem with zip files. I am unable to restore one of my courses if I include all the course resource files. About 300 MB of video clips. I am trying to work out what is going on, as I am getting no errors, or processes running on the server when I restore. I ran into a problem like this when the file names were a bit strange. You know how these Mac users can be. Same thing happens across Moodle running on OS X, linux and Windose. All with various versions of Moodle php and MySQL. So I just manually upload them or place a link to the appropriate directory if I have a course that needs the files. Gotta luv linux!

Cheers!

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Henry,

Please note that a Moodle Features Demo course backup is now available for download from the course here on moodle.org. Apologies for the delay. Hope your Moodle session next week goes well. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Henry Johnson -
Thanks so much!

So far moodle has got the students fired up. Now the task is to try to get as many of our teachers fired up so that they can keep up with the kids!

Cheers

Henry

by Miro Babinsky -
HI!
Funny problem exactly two years after your discussion - again not possible to downlad zipped file demo course from demo.moodle.org. The problem is a wrong link in the course. Instead of:
http://demo.moodle.org/file.php/4/backup-moodle-features.zip
should be:
http://demo.moodle.org/file.php/2/backup-moodle-features.zip
Miro
In reply to Helen Foster

by Henry Johnson -
Hi Helen,

I've downloaded and installed the Features course on our server:

http://moodle.yavneh.vic.edu.au/course/view.php?id=22

But am having trouble with the Hot Potatoes, eXe and RELOAD quizzes. Being new to all this on-line learning stuff (my last experience was about 15 years ago using ASCII strings!), I was hoping to show some of the other tools for creating online quizzes and the like. The Hot Potato module is loaded and visible on our site, but the actual quiz examples didn't seem to be included in the zip file.  eXe and RELOAD appear functional, until you enter them and get a "file not found" error for their content. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a permissions issue?

Thanks

Henry

by Helen Foster -
Hi Henry,

Apologies for the trouble you've had. I've updated the Features Demo course backup so that it now includes the Hot Pot examples. Regarding the example SCORM packages, please try adding them to the course again (choose the zip files from within the scorm folder) and deleting the existing instances.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Henry Johnson -
Hi Helen,

All done! I uploaded it onto my Mac laptop and your instructions worked fine. The java applet in the RELOAD demo doesn't work, but that may be OS X weirdness. Might give it a go on the Linux laptop, but its got a PHP bug from some modules I was playing with. When I get around to learning PHP, I try and sort it.

No macs where I work!

Will install on our school server now.

Thanks SO MUCH!

Please, anything I can do in return, I'll give it my best shot!
Cheers
Henry