Exporting Moodle Grades to Gradequick?

Exporting Moodle Grades to Gradequick?

by Amy MacDonald -
Number of replies: 13
Our district uses Gradequick and Edline.  Moodle is new to us, but many of our teachers are now using it regularly.  At the MoodleMoot NE, a colleague mentioned a way of exporting grades from Moodle to Gradequick.  Does anyone know how I would do this?  I am a classroom teacher and looking in to this to present the info to our admin.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks.
In reply to Amy MacDonald

Re: Exporting Moodle Grades to Gradequick?

by Richard Platts -
Has any progress been made on this issue? This would make my day if you have come across information on this topic. . .
Richard Platts
In reply to Richard Platts

by Myriam Rosado -

And if anyone knows how to import Gradequick grade to Moodle I would also appreciate it.

thoughtful

M. Rosado

In reply to Amy MacDonald

by Dan Schmeltz -
Wow... a year gone by and nobody has a good solution?
We too are a Gradequick/Edline School... we're currently reviewing other SIS systems though, and if Gradequick could give us a Moodle module we could get rid of Edline... but now they are one in the same company...

In reply to Dan Schmeltz

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dan - Exports, especially with Moodle 1.9, should not be too tough. I'm not familiar with Gradequick/Edline (as in I do not have access to them) so I don't know what the goal is. Could you provide an example of what you need. Designing a way to do the export should be reasonably simple. Which version of Moodle are you using? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dan Schmeltz -
Anthony,
I myself am not a teacher (unless you count my German enrichment class for 7th & 8th graders...), but rather a network/server/database admin. Since I don't really USE a gradebook per se, I'm not even really sure what I would want as far as exports are concerned. Rather, our less technically inclined teachers want seamless, one time entry of a grade... this doesn't happen with GradeQuick/SASI/Edline combination, and we shelled out more money for SiteReporter to do mass uploads from GradeQuick to Edline.

So, there are several processes for moving data between several systems. Since the systems are all from different vendors, there's a lot of finger pointing when that data doesn't get moved in the way it would be expected. Adding Moodle into the mix, Teachers have become more frustrated that it's "just something else to do".

While I think the Moodle Gradebook & GradebookPlus Module would be IDEAL for teachers, it doesn't seem they are willing to change from using GradeQuick b/c it's familiar and integrated with our other systems. So what happens? Very few make use of Moodle... for ANYTHING.. let alone full class rosters or gradebooks...

I just thought if there was a automated, backend way to dump Moodle grades to a GradeQuick .gbk file (or vice-versa), they would be more inclined to use Moodle. I suppose I should have taken the hint when, after showing them that Moodle imported ExamView questions, they still didn't buy in...

In reply to Dan Schmeltz

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dan - I suspect that getting the data in the format you want (.gbk) will be easier in Moodle 1.9; however, I do not have such a plugin. I do not know if others have one either. In Moodle 1.8 the options are pretty simple, xls or text exports. I did a custom text export for integration with Chancery's eClass and created a filter that allowed for easy importing into our sites grading program and it works if the teacher maintains all of their grades in Moodle. I think the new functionality in 1.9 will allow for much more. Best of luck advocating for Moodle. It sounds like you have a tough crowd. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Dan Schmeltz

by Brian Pool -
I am not as concerned with the how as the why. Why would you use both? We gave up gradequick this year and are 100% moodle for our class gradebooks for all classes 5-12. It allows us to do it online without paying Gradequick and it does everything gradequick does except 2 things (this I know of.) It doesn't do seating charts or daily attendance. Other than that...why stay with Gradequick?

If it is for interim reports...I have a solution you could use and edit to your hearts content. I coded Interim reports, as well as weekly D/F Intervention lists, into our gradebook. I also customized the excel exports per various teacher requests. The great thing about Moodle is how much you can customize it for your own school.

Info on my mod is on our site at http://moodle.nationaltrail.k12.oh.us/moodle/course/view.php?id=24 under the Summer Summit 07 Topic.

Gradequick does do inports, you just need to customize what you want in an export. Add the button, and your teachers are GTG!

Brian
In reply to Brian Pool

by Myriam Rosado -

We are tied to Gradequick because it is in turned tied to our student information system.

At our school, teachers are getting into using Moodle. We have the committment to display grades for parents and students on the Internet but do not want to go down the Edline lane, precisely because teachers love Moodle so much and we do not want to have our information hosted by a server located in another country.

Are there any experiences out there for exporting grades from Gradequick to Moodle?

In reply to Myriam Rosado

by Richard Platts -
We too are tied to gradequick as the ONLY means of producing 'report cards' -- additionally, we use edLine and parents expect to be able to use this portal as a place for keeping track of student progress.

I'm in a pilot phase of using Moodle, and am working on the administration pretty hard to consier Moodle instead of dropping lots of $$ into blackboard. I would say that some sort of plays nice with gradequick statement would be a huge plus for Moodle.
In reply to Richard Platts

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The Gradebook in Moodle 1.9 is specifically designed for this sort of thing, no question about it.

We now support export plugins that can do just about anything.

So if someone can specify exactly what is needed, then just about any developer can write a little plugin to pump grades from Moodle to Gradequick automatically (or even the other way if you're inclined).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Richard Platts -
That's great news.

I'll try to look into exactly what would be needed to make this work.

Thanks for the reply!