backup & restore to new server leaves url of previous server

backup & restore to new server leaves url of previous server

by poll yakadi -
Number of replies: 2
I create a same moodle instance with all the data and database similar like in Test - A and Disrobution Server - B As
A and B are two instances but totally one to one similar (moodle folder, moodle data, database - copy of each of them for A and B). And I copied from A to B so that B is the newer.

Now from A when I try to access linked (linked using moodle HTML editor link facility) resource refer to B instance (Test moodle instance) data location.

In A there is no student logins but there are students carefully created in B.

I checked and test this feature heavilly and found that,

1)If I take a course backup from A and restored to B. Then the new course in B refers to it's moodledata references correctly.

2)But If I do take a Backup of B and restored again in B that new course still refers to the moodledata in A. Which is wrong.

I want to do this because
the same course in B now has additional data than that in A. So step 1) won't help me.

Altimately the problem is that B server url's shouldn't refer to A but simply to B.

And I think back & restore within B would help me ---> if I can solve below problem.

***Can anybody kindly tell me why above happen and how to recover????

Average of ratings: -
In reply to poll yakadi

Re: backup & restore to new server leaves URL of previous server

by David Brighton -
My understanding is that this is a 'feature' of the database content that Moodle creates. The backup and restore process fixes this, but it seems a very messy way of doing things, relative URLs would seem more logical. Anyway, the answer may be to edit the database dump in a decent text editor (I use notepad++ which would probably suit) and do a search and replace for new and old URLs. Messy, but hopefully effective? Keep backup copies though!
In reply to David Brighton

Vast: Re: backup & restore to new server leaves URL of previous server

by Ari Tahvanainen -
Hi,

You don't need to replace anything. Just remove server address, for example "http://moodle.org/", and You get relative address.

Why restore doesn't do this itself?

- ari -