A proposal: a continous quiz testing site

A proposal: a continous quiz testing site

by Pierre Pichet -
Number of replies: 3

The Quiz community testing session offering simultaneous chat and visual contact was interesting in many aspects. There should be more of these.

As human being, the visual contact was a +++ . The instant feedback between the participants was interesting.

The access at a moodle site where the modifications were rapidly done was almost a must for solving and testing bugs.

I propose lo let my site (http://132.208.141.198/moodle_head/ for those who want to test as teacher the new improvements of moodle 1.7. A more restricted access could be offered for testing as administrator.

I could quite easily do CVS updates at least twice a day (AM, PM at Montreal, Canada) from Moodle_head.

Do this seems interesting for you?

P.S.1 Tim could let us know what are the properties he need us to test so that he can manage the 200 bugs left before closing 1.7. As he noted, he was expecting that we would use the community testing for the quizzes but the new roles functions were more "popular" or less known.

P.S.2 For myself I can stop the calculated question develoment until 1.8 and do some 1.7 testing

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pierre Pichet

Re: A proposal: a continous quiz testing site

by N Hansen -
I think it was the newly-discovered roles bugs that distracted us from the quiz bugs we were trying to test. But anything that moves us closer to 1.7 is a good thing so I would call the day a success. I especially found the back and forth between participants useful. Two or more heads is better than one and bouncing ideas and insights back and forth I think speeds up the problemsolving process. I wonder whether it wouldn't be useful to run events like this more often-even have 24 hour bug fix marathons that people could join anytime for an hour or two to do some fixing together?

It would be great if we could use your server for testing. When 1.6 was still under development, I spent a lot of time poking around at the quiz at test.moodle.com simply because I was curious how the new version would work but wound up along the way discovering a lot of bugs too that Gustav was then able to fix before the release.

I'm actually quite curious about some of the role functions I saw yesterday and it would be great if I could use your site to play around a bit with some of that as I am sure I might find some more bugs along the way. There's also a few quiz bugs I reported in the past that I would like to test too but didn't have the time to do yesterday. If I could knock those out I probably could get Tim under 200 although I can't promise I won't find more along the way.

In reply to N Hansen

by Pierre Pichet -
Glad to hear this.smile$5
As this "server" is my regular office computer, I prefer to let moodle community access through the moodle interface as teacher user: moodle  pw:moodle.
For people like you that are already implied in the Moodle organization, I will create a nominal admin user with an individual password.
Just send a message to pichet.pierre@uqam.ca
I will try to do as many dayly updates as possible.

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It would definitely be a big help to have a 1.7dev testing server available in the run up to the release, so it would be really brilliant if you can keep it there, and CVS updated about once a day. Thank you.

I did enjoy the testing day. This forum is an excellent means of comminucation, but from time to time, a bit of verbal chat in real-time can make a big difference and is worth doing. As someone said at the end though, it might have gone a bit better if I had planned a bit more in advance what I wanted to achieve. Still, it was the first time, and we learn from experience.

Thank you for asking what you can do to help between now and the release. I can't immediately think of anything (unless you can stop everyone from bothering me with other problems so I can concentrate on fixing moodle bugs wink). However, when I need help, I will certainly post in the forum asking.