Assigning readings

Assigning readings

by Mark Crane -
Number of replies: 2
This is sort of basic, but how do you put a reading schedule in your class?

I have been posting assigned chapters as text on the home page, within each week. The problem with that is that if we push a reading back by a week, then I have to adjust the text on each week's page, which involves odius amounts of cutting and pasting. Thanks for any tips!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Crane

Re: Assigning readings

by Irmgard Willcockson -
Mark, we have a lot of readings for each week.  Textbook chapters were inserted as a label, for example "Shortliffe Chapter 8" .  If we decide to move readings, I will have to go through the move function with the arrows.  That's tediuos compared to drag and drop, but not impossible.  Other readings were uploaded as pdf files, and also move with arrows.  I'm not sure that helps, you might look at our Orientation Course, which is open to guests.  Go to moodle.shis.uth.tmc.edu, login as guest and enroll in  the New Student Orientation.  It has examples of lectures, files and videos, readings are treated the same way.  Hope this helps, Irmi
In reply to Irmgard Willcockson

Re: Assigning readings

by Gene Koo -

"I have been posting assigned chapters as text on the home page, within each week. The problem with that is that if we push a reading back by a week, then I have to adjust the text on each week's page, which involves odius amounts of cutting and pasting."

We treat readings somewhat differently, as they are usually associated with an assignment. Therefore, in order to keep the main Moodle page from being overwhelmed with reading items, as well as to make sure students see that the readings are related to assignments, we put the readings directly into the assignments. I have a CSS class that I use to highlight the readings so they are always displayed in a separate colored box. This way, when I move assignments around, the readings go with them.

This may not respond to your specific context if your readings are attached to a topic rather than assignment, although you might also think about creating a single assignment called "reading" and then putting all of your readings in that one assignment.