Grading of multiple choice

Grading of multiple choice

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is a question from the german forum:

What is to do that it is possible to grade in this way

Multiple Choice with several correct answers.
Two of the answers are correct.
If the students marks only one correct answer the totaly result should be wrong (0 %)

Normally I would answer:
Create answers including combinations of the answer options like:
Which answers are correct?
1)  A.B
2) A.C
3) B
4) ...

But is there an other option? Is it possible to make changes in code?

Ralf
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Grading of multiple choice

by Jared Stein -
I think so. We can take advantage of the fact that, currently, Moodle does not allow a negative score on questions (at least this is how it seems in 1.6).

Consider this scenario:

Where does the ghost appear to Hamlet during the play?
Choose at least one answer.
    a. Gertrude's bedchamber    
    b. Cemetery    
    c. The Great Hall of Elsinore    
    d. Elsinore Castle ramparts    
    e. Fortinbras's tent

I've set each of the 2 correct answers to be worth 50%, and each of the 3 incorrect answers to be -50% (you can do this by going down on the drop-down menu for points).

The negative points for the incorrect answers guarantees that a student doesn't get one right and one wrong and still score 50%.  But there may be a potential danger in this practice: if in the above example the student chose answers B and C, s/he would technically score a -100% for choosing two incorrect answers. If the student chose three incorrect answers, they'd be facing a -150%!  However, since Moodle doesn't allow for negative scores, it turns out to be just a zero for this question, and all is good.

Will this persist in future versions? I don't know. At any rate, this seems to work for now.

Jared Stein

PS
The correct answers to the above are Elsinore Castle Ramparts and Gertrude's bedchamber smile
In reply to Jared Stein

by Dr S Bhatia -
the same problem was asked by ankit oberoi and i had offered him a slightly more viable {First  and (most viable)option is:

Create short answer questions BUT give options in question's language itself.

For e.g.
"Q. What is a Rabbit? Your options are- a.animal b.plant c. virus d.mammal e.reptile"      (this was the question . options were written in question's language itself)
Now there will be a space for short answer question which will accept ONLY "a,d "  or "d,a" as the correct answers and anything else (like "a" or "d' or anything else) will be wrong and marked negatively.
Try this.
Actually what you have asked is a very tough proposition.
Consider exploring a website called http://quizstar.4teachers.org  for this purpose. I have some tests there and i THINK they have something of this sort.}

and also the same solution as above.

I think the following features need to be brought to the notice of those who can contribute to development so that they may be included.(I am comp illiterate so sorry for inability to contribute to codes)

1. questions with multiple choice that should have ALL correct answers ticked to be considered correct. otherwise 0 or negative marks.

2. a type of quiz in which 'x' number of questions are are included from 'n' number of categories. when the result comes, it should tell the score category wise. e.g. the quiz has 10 questions from category A,B,C, D & E each. After the candidate takes it, the result should be able to say: Cat-A: 7/10, Cat-B:5/10, Cat-C: 3/10, Cat-D: 9/10, Cat-E: 4/10, total: 28/50.

3. A feedback should be possible to give to the student based on his score. like for e.g
score:2/10# feedback- very poor
score:5/10# feedback- average
score:7/10# feedback- good etc. This feature Tim Hunt says will be avaialble in 1.7

regards

In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Jakob Rasmussen -

I absolutely aggre with Dr S Bhatia about the features needed. I have just made an initial assesmment quiz with questions in several categories, and wanted to use the result of each category to indicate whether or not the student needs to take a corresponding course. I could of course make one quiz for each course, but then I can not randomize the questions.

How do we bring this issue into the attention of programmers?

Best regards Jakob

In reply to Jared Stein

by Sherry Brown -
Being a new Moodler, I have yet to try out all of Moodle's features (is it possible!) Would something like the "Every Decision Counts"  multiple choice be what you are looking for?  I've not used the webgrading tool (yet) but it's on my list of things to do this year.  Would it be possible to do something similar within Moodle?

From the UMass PERG website:
Every Decision Counts (EDC) is a compromise between open-ended and standard, multiple-choice formats. Students are allowed to mark more than one choice on a standard 5-bubble answer sheet, which has two consequences. The first is that students can communicate their confidence in their answer to a standard question by selecting two or more incompatible choices. The more marks they make, the less credit they earn and the less confidence they have in their answer. If they fill in all 5 bubbles, they are "just guessing."

The second consequence is that we can ask questions with possibly more than one mark in the correct answer. There are 31 possible combinations of answers, and therefore it is almost impossible for students to guess the correct one. Possible scores are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, so there is a more precise categorization of students between completely correct (5/5), and completely incorrect (0/5). We also have a just guessing category for students who mark all 5 choices. As compared to standard multiple-choice questions, a lower percentage of students are completely correct (earning all 5 points), yet the average score tends to be noticeably higher, because nearly all students are earning at least 3 points (out of 5). In other words, in practice, almost nobody earns 0 or 1 point, and few earn only 2 points.

In reply to Sherry Brown

by Dr S Bhatia -
The more we complicate it Sherry, the realisation will dawn that results don't differ significantly (statistically, i.e.)
conclusion: why complicate it then?
My request for a category wise grading was for likert scale type questions used in psychological testing where nothing is right or wrong...only various personality traits are being tested(and they too, i'll confess, are arbitrary)

EDC is interesting ; yet....i suppose there is no reason to try to bamboozle the students so much. After all, the purpose of education is to make them understand what's correct, isn't it? That's why short answer and essay type will NEVER be outmoded coz that's exactly what they do...find out whether or not she/he knows the stuff; in a SIMPLE way.
So much gradation/sub-gradation, micro-gradation......and then you come out with results like 97.65 percentile and 97.63 percentile and somehow, all the universities are convinced that  the guy with 97.65 MUST be better than 97.63 one.
I feel so much complication in grading is un-necessary unless used for very specific type of tests.

And then there was a book called 'Why do very smart people make very dumb mistakes'? smile
In reply to Jared Stein

by Stuardo Herrera -
I've been trying to make multiple choice questions with this type of grading and I cannot successfully achieve it. The problem with Jared Stein's approach is that if the student only chooses one correct choice, the grade will be 50%, instead of being wrong for not selecting the two correct answers.   
In reply to Stuardo Herrera

by James Steinbach -
While moodle does not currently count negative points for answers, it can be told to do so (see linked discussion).

In our school, we had at least one teacher who (for no good reason) had ordinary MC questions set for right answer = (100%) and wrong answer = (-100%).  He was getting away with this "mistake" until we edited moodle (again, see link to other discussion) and then all of his students ended up w/terribly negative grades!  Not a big problem - just regrading and re-setting a bunch of quiz questions he had been using.

I say this as a caution to using negative percentages for all-or-nothing MC questions.  It may work now for you, but since our change, we can't do that here, and some folks seem to want to see the change written into the next moodle version.

Here's that long-awaited link wide eyeshttp://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=47599

James
In reply to Stuardo Herrera

by Dr S Bhatia -
This cannot be successfully achieved as yet in moodle.