PHP, XML and multimedia content delivery

PHP, XML and multimedia content delivery

by jeremy gilpin -
Number of replies: 5

At Saint Michael's our Modern Languages and ESL departments both have a large number of audio resources that are currently being "streamed" on our local network through a FrontPage web. 

I have had two work study students working on a content management "system" using PHP and XML that generates HTML pages with an embedded Windows Media Player.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could implement this system into Moodle? 

I'm in over my head here but I seem to like it that way!

Thanks,

</jeremy>

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jeremy gilpin

Re: PHP, XML and multimedia content delivery

by Timothy Takemoto -

Hello Jeremy
I am afraid I can't answer you question, since I lack connected knowledge, and also because I am not sure what you are asking but, you may wish to try the Moodle for Language Teaching course, in particular this discussion which mentions streaming 
and the links contained therein may be of some help.

Tim

Timothy Takemoto

In reply to jeremy gilpin

by Marc Dastous -

Jeremy;

I have been using streamed content, Real Media, as a Resource in my Moodle installation this semester.  Essentially, I have created web pages with the embed commands for Real Media and linked to them using a Moodle Resource.

When the students access the resource, the player appears in the bottom frame.  I have been trying to find a way to have the resource appear as an "Always on top" window, that way my students could take notes on the instruction using a journal entry, but I have been unsuccessful aside from tiling the windows.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I hope it gives you some ideas.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Mike Muntner -

Dear Marc,

In the past when I used streamed Real Media, I had to publish the audio (.rm) files on a streaming server such as Playstream and the rest of the content and material went on our normal server.  This way we could provide on-demand streamed course content to our students.  Real Media will only stream on servers set up as streaming services (so I am told) otherwise you it downloads and plays in bits.    Am I correct in saying that it works the same way here?  That is, your system provides the structure, security, publishing/creation/ forum, etc and allows whatever we had been using in our own webcontent management systems Real Media, Flash, PowerPoint, Word, etc. I would just place the link in the appropriate place and the student clicks it, RealPlayer pops up, assuming the student has it on their machine, and they get to hear (or see and hear) the lecturer while he goes through the slides.

Mike

In reply to Mike Muntner

by Marc Dastous -

Actually, I created the *.RAM files using Camtasia Studio.  The *.RAM files don't need a "streaming server" and play just fine on connections as slow as 56kbps.

For an example, go to http://webclassroom.gis4u.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=6973 and login as a guest.  This is an HTML document that has the RM embedded.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Mike Muntner -

Thanks Marc.  

I am not sure of all the lingo, but the *.rm files can run both as streamed or as a download/play mode.  I am told that the latter is more choppy at times, but it sounds like I should look into Camtasia Studio.  The RealProducer and PresenterOne software I have been using have a few drawbacks.  Thanks for the tip. 

So then, am I correct in thinking that whichever I use, that I could still integrate material on a playstream server in with whatever I have on my own or a outsourced normal server?

Mike