Anonymous Posting in a Forum

Anonymous Posting in a Forum

by Ramesh Yerraballi -
Number of replies: 6
I was wondering if there is a way students can post their questions anonymously in a forum. I have had several student's request this feature.

Thanks
Ramesh
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ramesh Yerraballi

Re: Anonymous Posting in a Forum

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is this different from allowing users to log on as a guest?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ramesh Yerraballi -
Huh! I see your point but I believe the feature I am asking has a subtle difference from logging in as guest.

Lets say I do not want to allow guest logins into a course but allow users who have valid logins to occasionally post questions on a forum but remain anonymous. The source of this request comed from the fact that I often have students who feel very conscious about asking questions with the fear of seeming "stupid". I do try my best to convince them that I would not judge them so, but they are not sure if their fellow classmates will do the same.

Ramesh

by John Gone -
Maybe create an account just for this purpose and change the password frequently, make it available as required. Not the best but...
In reply to John Gone

by Ilja Jetsu -
We are also missing this feature. It is implemented in almost all commercial learning environments and it is considered to be one of the important features.

The other use for anonymous forum would be getting honest feedback. If students must use their names with the feedback they may not be as critical as they could.

Tracking the student information is not such a problem (the user info may be saved to database), but just hiding the names from the messages might be easy and working solution to this problem. That would allow an open and free atmosphere, but also give teachers an oppoturnity to ask administrator who has sent a message, if some user is misbehaving in forums.

This could be accomplished by dedicating anonymous forum for these messages or give an opportunity to set a message anonymous while it is posted (maybe as a new forum type).

- Ilja

by Hans de Zwart -

Moodle takes very little administration time to run. Not having anonymous posting in the forum makes little or no moderating necessary. People cannot put offensive statements online because they are not anonymous.

Do you allow people to have a plastig bag over their head and a voice changer in your classroom? I don't.

Just keep on working on creating an open atmosphere where people do not feel stupid when writing things down. Eventually the students should get used to it and will not request this feature anymore.

In reply to Hans de Zwart

by James Phillips -
This is an essential feature if Moodle is to become more popular in Japan. Open forums are a non-starter here, but anonymous forums are absolutely huge, for a wide variety of reasons.

Please do not assume that everybody is using Moodle in a classroom or University environment, as this is simply not the case.